Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:sweat: :scared: It's scary that some people are in the business of photography. Or am I over reacting?

Example 1: would you feel good doing wedding shoots - Digital Camera Resource Page - Forums
would you feel good doing wedding shoots with the powershot s5 s3 or s2 IS camera?? Someone told me A SLR is needed,,canon rebel or 30d something like that to capture lowlight w/ movement..How do you people feel ..I have branched off into weddings and now I feel unsure because a professional wedding photographer told me I need to upgrade my equipment...

Example 2: Please Help!! Grainy photos!! - Digital Camera Resource Page - Forums
I just bought a Canon Rebel SLR. I'm starting a portait photography business. I've been practicing a lot. So the first couple of trys the pictures turned out good!!! The only lighting I have are two flouresant umbrella lights (cheap). I set my white balance and everything, don't use the flash, and have the ISO set at 1600. Well the first practice shots was a baby sleeping (black backdrop). They turned out perfect!!! The second was a family (with black backdrop). And if they'd move slighty while I was snaping the shot it would turn out blurry. So I decided to buy an external flash. Cuz the built in one is harsh and leaves a black shadow. So the next practice session I use a white backdrop and bounce the flash off the ceiling and they turn out GRAINY!! Not all of them though, which is weird. What am I doing wrong? Should I turn down the ISO? It's only when I use the white brackdrop. The black backdrop it's perfect. ??

I do not in anyway consider myself an expert or even an amateur. I know what I know now, which is very little, from most of the people here.

·
Bicoastal Traveler
8,555 Posts
I saw that second post. Oh well, it's sink or swim so they'll figure it out the hard way if they don't listen to advice from others. Hell, I have good gear and I still don't want to do weddings.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Well, somehow the age old question of art vs. craft comes to mind. The artist may know exactly what they want their pic to look like, but have no technical ability (the craft side) to actually make it happen. Or vice-versa, some people know fluently how a camera works, but have no idea how to take an interesting shot with it. And there are all varieties in between.

I'm guessing the posts are from the people in the first group...

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
I'm glad I have the knowledge I have, because clueless people like this exist pretty rampantly in the business. When I was engaged, and we were shopping for photographers, you did NOT want to be one of those folks getting grilled by me. It was a job interview, and I asked some pretty tough questions. It was obvious who the people who just bought an expensive camera, and just pushed buttons in the green modes. Those posts are pretty disturbing.

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad I have the knowledge I have, because clueless people like this exist pretty rampantly in the business. When I was engaged, and we were shopping for photographers, you did NOT want to be one of those folks getting grilled by me. It was a job interview, and I asked some pretty tough questions. It was obvious who the people who just bought an expensive camera, and just pushed buttons in the green modes. Those posts are pretty disturbing.
:agreed:
I wish I have the knowledge I have now 4 years ago, before I got married and had to hire a wedding photographer :mecry:

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
if you lived in Kentucky and you were taking photos of a wedding in the family barn of a pair of cousins your S610 point and shoot camera would be MORE than enough.

if you are living in LA and taking photos of the Biel/Ashenfelter wedding you BETTER have a 1Ds or you're not getting hired.

so it's all relative really. you just have to get the whole picture. haha get it..whole picture, in a photography forum. :lol: :lmfao:

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if you lived in Kentucky and you were taking photos of a wedding in the family barn of a pair of cousins your S610 point and shoot camera would be MORE than enough.

if you are living in LA and taking photos of the Biel/Ashenfelter wedding you BETTER have a 1Ds or you're not getting hired.

so it's all relative really. you just have to get the whole picture. haha get it..whole picture, in a photography forum. :lol: :lmfao:
True. It didn't see it that way. That wedding photographer lady using her S5 does live and work in an area where it's good enough.
Well, you'll be ready for the next time you get married... err... renew your vows. ;) :lol:
The next time will be with Jessica Alba whether she knows it or likes it :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts