Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since alot of people ask what this is. I will give you guys the mixture and what oil should be properly used.

From RRE's Website
"Who the heck is Scot Gray and what is his mix? Well Scot is some famous internet personality/ tuner/ DSM guru guy and he had this special mix of 2 quarts of Redline MTL gear oil along with one quart of BG Syncroshift. He told one guy, they told another... someone told the internet and now people always ask for the "Scot Gray Mix" So we sell it. Some trannys just shift better. BG and Redline MTL are very similar. Basically a thinner gear oil with all the right combination of slippery and grippy qualities to make your transmission both shift well and last a long time. "

2x Redline MTL SAE 70w-80 API GL-4 Gear Oil
1x BG SyncroShift Part# 790

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
I always wondered how close, or how different, this is to what Mitsu recommends? Are people actually solving a problem with this or just hell bent on modifying anything possible?

I'm not saying it's bad, or good, just wondering more info -

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To tell you the truth Mitsu Recommends 75w-90 gear oil. Now if you would try to get 3 quarts of "Mitsu OEM fluid" it owuld probably cost you the same.

·
OMFG
6,632 Posts
I always wondered how close, or how different, this is to what Mitsu recommends? Are people actually solving a problem with this or just hell bent on modifying anything possible?

I'm not saying it's bad, or good, just wondering more info -
Its not going to solve any problems that exists in the transmission.

The history of this mix is described in the original post;

From RRE's Website
"Who the heck is Scot Gray and what is his mix? Well Scot is some famous internet personality/ tuner/ DSM guru guy and he had this special mix of 2 quarts of Redline MTL gear oil along with one quart of BG Syncroshift. He told one guy, they told another... someone told the internet and now people always ask for the "Scot Gray Mix" So we sell it. Some trannys just shift better. BG and Redline MTL are very similar. Basically a thinner gear oil with all the right combination of slippery and grippy qualities to make your transmission both shift well and last a long time. "

·
Turbo/Haltech V6
1,713 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the dead! Hey Kris, are you currently using Redline MTL 70W-80 or 75W-90? Do you know if there is any improvement when using BG syncroshift 2 part #792 instead of using BG Syncroshift.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the dead! Hey Kris, are you currently using Redline MTL 70W-80 or 75W-90? Do you know if there is any improvement when using BG syncroshift 2 part #792 instead of using BG Syncroshift.
:btt: I would like to know also because I am badly due for a change!

I just read that is was the 75w90

·
Turbo/Haltech V6
1,713 Posts
Well, I found out that the local Subaru dealership has BG syncroshift in stock for $19.95. So I'll be getting that and 2 quarts of Red line MT-90 from a local performance shop too. I'm 99% sure it is MT-90 instead of 75W-90NS. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is a new BG synchroshift that is all "syn". I haven't tested the new one out yet. I still have two bottles of the old version. I'm using the regular redline 75-90 in the Scion and 75w-80 in the Eclipse. I have to say that I prefer the 75w-80 over the 90. But it is really hard to come by and generally there is very little difference in performance. Eitherway, it takes about 1000 miles to get the full effect of this mix. Straight of the bat there is a difference, but its not super significant. Later on you will see how much smoother everything works.

·
Pissed
1,387 Posts
There is a new BG synchroshift that is all "syn". I haven't tested the new one out yet. I still have two bottles of the old version. I'm using the regular redline 75-90 in the Scion and 75w-80 in the Eclipse. I have to say that I prefer the 75w-80 over the 90. But it is really hard to come by and generally there is very little difference in performance. Eitherway, it takes about 1000 miles to get the full effect of this mix. Straight of the bat there is a difference, but its not super significant. Later on you will see how much smoother everything works.
Wow... I know this discussion has gone around for many years, but in all honesty, I never noticed a LOT of improvement using the Scot Grey mix. Yes, it was better than OEM, but not by much. I have, however, noticed MUCH better results using Amsoil MTF. I don't sell the stuff, and in all honesty, I never even knew about it until recently. I was, however, VERY satisfied with the improved shifts, especially into reverse and 2nd gears. It costs less than the Scot Grey mix and it's from a company that's been around for a long time. I've been using their synthetic motor oil and oil filters for many, many years and never had a problem with them.

Having used OEM, Scot Grey and Amsoil, I'd say it's Amsoil, hands-down. :yesway:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
This is what I got from RRE when I sent them the message.

It is two Redline MTL and one BG. Just ask for it by name (Scot Gray Mix) $29 for the three quarts.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Just got it from RRE. It is 1 qt bg syncro shift and 2 quarts redline MTL 70w80 just like the picture shows above!!!!!! It was 29 dollars plus 14 for shipping. Im not sure if shipping is a flat rate or not. Your shipping charge could be more or less.

Im going to change mine soon.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
There is a new BG synchroshift that is all "syn". I haven't tested the new one out yet.
I have! :wavey: I put a thread in the product review forum. Initially I was disappointed, but after 1000 miles it was great. I'm not sure I really understand why it took so long, but it did get better with time. I just put in three quarts of it straight up. The hot rattle I used to sometimes get is gone and it definitely shifts smoother.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts