Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Got Boost? Me either
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was watching horsepower tv today and they had a mustang cobra on the show. they installed a idler pulley. they said that it would eliminate any belt slippage. ive heard about the problem we've been having with the belt slipping on the SDS, do you think this would help fix that problem?

·
Registered
642 Posts
we already have an idler pulley there, but RIPP is working on something to eliminate the slipping, check their forums on the V6 section.

·
RIPPed
547 Posts
michaelma said:
cogged belts would be nice.
Yes, this has been discussed and RIPP hasn't really pursued it because you would lose your air conditioning. There is a thread about it on the RIPP power pages.

·
The 11sec club
247 Posts
The new tensonor has only been installed on one car that i know over, But you can make your own if you have the resources all you need is time and a power steering pulley from a fox body mustang, i take pictures and post them up as a how to. But remeber that the belt will always expand so you need to replace them quite offten

·
Ripped Evo
1,178 Posts
TrevMill said:
Yes, this has been discussed and RIPP hasn't really pursued it because you would lose your air conditioning. There is a thread about it on the RIPP power pages.
Update...
http://www.rippmods.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=353&whichpage=4
To swap over to a cogged belt and pulley set up. We need to make a two pc coge-pulley that mounts on the stock AC pulley w/ a top tap set screw set up, or a one pc slip-over that mounts on the stock pulley by using a side tap set screw set up.

·
Registered
970 Posts
rtspeed said:
The new tensonor has only been installed on one car that i know over, But you can make your own if you have the resources all you need is time and a power steering pulley from a fox body mustang, i take pictures and post them up as a how to. But remeber that the belt will always expand so you need to replace them quite offten
I have the one RIPP made for a prototype. After I got the car back I thought to myself "Why didn't I think of that ?" It is pretty neat and serves its purpose well however I am sure there will be some changes to it in the final production. My car is at RIPPs now so maybe it will be revised shortly ?

Here is a picture of the prototype:

·
Ripped Evo
1,178 Posts
npeifer said:
I have the one RIPP made for a prototype. After I got the car back I thought to myself "Why didn't I think of that ?" It is pretty neat and serves its purpose well however I am sure there will be some changes to it in the final production. My car is at RIPPs now so maybe it will be revised shortly ?

My car is there too,
Clutch is fixed, Stage III is in, Grey Box is retuned, just waiting on the new tensonor.

·
Registered
127 Posts
To reiterate what Kc2Buk said, I believe the only true solution is a cogged belt system. pacopg3 on RIPP's board came up w/ a fix for the AC and a cogged belt. It is a helluva good idea and I hope it gains some traction (pun intended). This would virtually elimanate all slip and allow us to keep our AC and daily driveability.

·
Registered
970 Posts
SlowPoke said:
To reiterate what Kc2Buk said, I believe the only true solution is a cogged belt system. pacopg3 on RIPP's board came up w/ a fix for the AC and a cogged belt. It is a helluva good idea and I hope it gains some traction (pun intended). This would virtually elimanate all slip and allow us to keep our AC and daily driveability.

My belt never slipped after they installed the prototype on my car. The A/C worked perfect so the proto was fine just needed a little refining.

·
Registered
642 Posts
SlowPoke said:
pacopg3 on RIPP's board came up w/ a fix for the AC and a cogged belt. It is a helluva good idea and I hope it gains some traction (pun intended)
that's me, that's me lol whatever RIPP desides to go with they need to do it ASAP cause belt slip is a bitch!

·
Registered
127 Posts
pacoslant do you think Ross at RIPP "gets" your idea? Have you called him? if not, please do so.

If not, we have plenty of intelligent members who could come up w/ a prototype.

But this is a problem, they would be unable to produce enough units and market it to the masses and support it.

I agree completly about belt slip, I'm back down to 4lbs of boost due to belt slip. It is 7 degrees outside. I got a garage and a heater, but it's still damn cold working on your car just for something you know will stretch again in a month. We got's to fix this. I think this is the last big hurdle to overcome for a true high HP daily driver.

·
Registered
970 Posts
SlowPoke said:
pacoslant do you think Ross at RIPP "gets" your idea? Have you called him? if not, please do so.

If not, we have plenty of intelligent members who could come up w/ a prototype.

But this is a problem, they would be unable to produce enough units and market it to the masses and support it.

I agree completly about belt slip, I'm back down to 4lbs of boost due to belt slip. It is 7 degrees outside. I got a garage and a heater, but it's still damn cold working on your car just for something you know will stretch again in a month. We got's to fix this. I think this is the last big hurdle to overcome for a true high HP daily driver.

Again guys, my car would touch 16-17 PSI at anytime I wanted with the prototype on it. Never any slippage so they have the fix it is just a matter of a short time so calm down. My a/c worked perfect as well so there is really no need to come up with some other type of tensioner I don't feel, but ideas are always welcome from all.

·
Ripped Evo
1,178 Posts
npeifer said:
Again guys, my car would touch 16-17 PSI at anytime I wanted with the prototype on it. Never any slippage so they have the fix it is just a matter of a short time so calm down. My a/c worked perfect as well so there is really no need to come up with some other type of tensioner I don't feel, but ideas are always welcome from all.
:agreed: Hey Neil if you give me your old prototype tensioner I'll give you my sister in trade.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Kc2Buk said:
:agreed: Hey Neil if you give me your old prototype tensioner I'll give you my sister in trade.

Send some pics and me and my g/f will review them for possible trade !!!

Sounds killer huh ??? LOL

·
Ripped Evo
1,178 Posts
npeifer said:

Neil,
The NEW one kicks butt!
We are a few weeks away from getting them.
The New proto type unit was sent out to be reproduced.
It looks much better than the 1st proto type unit on your car.
John,

Please Guy's
Ripp will post up when they get them.
So there is no need to call there.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It still aludes me, why we are going after belt tension. We know too much tension (which we need for the SDS not to slip) is a bad thing. Bearings in alternator's, AC pump's etc. are not designed to have so much tension on them. They will fail much quicker and need to be replaced. Has the 2 piece pulley idea that wraps the AC ring fallen by the wayside? This idea has been thrown around on the RIPP boards but so far no news. I will make some phone calls tomorrow and post up.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts