Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Spyder had been in storage for four years. I have had it out and about this year. I have noticed it's cooling fan running an awful lot lately. Today I took it over to the wash rack before lunch. It was only in the mid-80's outside and the fan was on all the time. Time to investigate. Going to first clean the cooling fins with pressurized soapy water to see of something has "made a nest " in there. If that does not fix it, I will open the system up. Also noticed my A/C compressor kicking on and off. That also may indicate an air flow issue. I hope that it all it is. More later. ...J.D.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Washed it out with my pressure washer yesterday. Don't think it made much difference. Fans and thermostat seem to be OK. Guess I'll have to spring for a new radiator. Only about $85 bucks. ...J.D.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT
380 Posts
Have you always used coolant mix, and not just water? Water tends to allow corrosion inside the engine and radiator, and can deteriorate the blades of the water pump. All of which degrades your cooling performance.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Owned the car for 17 yrs. Always use a 50% coolant mix. Car did sit for a few years. I don't think that is a good thing. Fluids need circulating regularly. I think I'll run some flush through it first before I send the radiator to the scrap heap. ...J.D.

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
587 Posts
Owned the car for 17 yrs. Always use a 50% coolant mix. Car did sit for a few years. I don't think that is a good thing. Fluids need circulating regularly. I think I'll run some flush through it first before I send the radiator to the scrap heap. ...J.D.
assuming its the original radiator, you're lucky it has lasted this long anyway...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have not had this car out much in the last couple of weeks. Our weather has been brutal. Top was 110deg.f. today ! It has been over 100 every day for a couple of weeks. Makes you wonder if there is really a cooling problem, or just a weather problem. Either way, it takes the fun out of having a convertible. ...J.D.

·
Registered
2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 5 speed manual
21 Posts
Have not had this car out much in the last couple of weeks. Our weather has been brutal. Top was 110deg.f. today ! It has been over 100 every day for a couple of weeks. Makes you wonder if there is really a cooling problem, or just a weather problem. Either way, it takes the fun out of having a convertible. ...J.D.
If I were you WhiteSpyder I would use Prestone Platinum 50/50 and then Mix the coolant with Water Wetter. Did wonders for my 3G eclipse. There are car guys on youtube that have zr1 corvettes 500hp and higher that reported that Water Wetter makes a big difference anywhere from 20 to 30 degreees F. Oh and of course wrap your mianifold exhaust or get transmission fans etc.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'll pass on that idea. I am using a 50/50 mix already. I stay away from "snake oil" solutions. If those kinds of things really worked the manufacturers would already be using them. ...J.D.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts