Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so I randomly started having pretty mild shaking start in my car. I have a 2003 Mistubishi Eclipse GS, right around 108k miles. I just had my wheels rotated, balanced and air pressure checked so they're good. My car has a *very minor* pull to the right. When I got the tires rotated, I was told the front struts are both starting to leak a little, so I plan on getting those fixed this month, and then the car aligned afterward. However I wasn't sure if leaking struts would maybe cause this shaking? It's not too intense, however it is noticeable and it's gradually becoming more noticeable, especially the faster I go. It starts anywhere from 50-60, and is most noticeable around 70+. I feel it mostly in my steering wheel, however I also believe I feel it a little bit in the gas pedal, and it feels more toward the right side? I know it's not the rotors or the motor mounts, we have already checked these possibilities.
If anyone had any suggestions or could confirm that it could just be the front struts, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Administrator
16,323 Posts
95% of the time it's wheels and tires are not balanced correctly. Check for bent wheels on the inside and outside. If they're fine, it's your cv axles. Replace both of them together.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have another car that does this randomly and I'm pretty sure it's the brakes. The store I took it to blamed it on the tires only because they were purchased elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
I just had my wheels rotated, balanced and air pressure checked so they're good.
Not necessarily!

Many times over the years I've had to go back to a shop to have a better balance job done than they did the first time. Now I've learned to simply go straight to the "performance" shops (aka the smaller repair shops that specialize in higher end cars) to get it done right the first time.

Your process of eliminating the wheel balancing as the culprit is correct, but I can tell you from experience that having it checked or recently done does not actually eliminate it as a cause.

If you have a square setup and the tools to do it, swap the front and rear tires with each other and see if the steering wheel shake goes away (you may yet feel it in the back). You can similarly experiment with the tires as a cause for the pulling (you can have perfect alignment but bad tires which will end up causing a pull that you want to incorrectly blame on an alignment).

·
Administrator
16,323 Posts
Ball joints inner/outer tie rods?
They would have to be severely worn. Borderline broken. In this case, there would be MUCH more noticeable symptoms and noises.

What if the pad wasn't releasing properly?
That would be seized calipers. Which can cause pulling and noise. He's complaining about vibrations at speed. That's all.

OP, like I said, if it aint the wheels/tires, it's the axles. Plain and simple as that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
They would have to be severely worn. Borderline broken. In this case, there would be MUCH more noticeable symptoms and noises.

That would be seized calipers. Which can cause pulling and noise. He's complaining about vibrations at speed. That's all.

OP, like I said, if it aint the wheels/tires, it's the axles. Plain and simple as that.
Finally replaced the sticky jap caliper. No pulling or noise. Only a shimmy at highway speeds.

·
54,396 Posts
Which is less domestic than a Toyota Camry, oddly enough. Yes, blame Chrysler and UAW parts suppliers for the shit wrong with your car, the only things that came from Japan were some electronics and the engine, I'm fairly sure the trans was made here too. Kinda like my Mazda built in Flint, MI in the same plant that also built the Mustang for a number of years. Globalization is a bitch, you can't figure out who to blame!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts