Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I recently had my trans rebuilt at 120k. Everything seems fine while driving in 2nd through 5th, but taking off in 1st is my problem. When trying to do a gentle take off with low rpms the car shakes and vibrates like crazy, but if I rev it up to about 3 or 4k and slowly pull out the clutch it takes off fine. Does anybody have any idea what might be causing such vibrations? I did search and couldn't find anything like my particular problem except telling me to check the motor mounts, which are brand new prothane mounts. The clutch was also replaced. Am I jeopardizing the life of my new clutch by reving the engine so high to smoothly take off without any shaking?

2003 Gts 5 speed
approx 125xxx
all stock except prothane mounts

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
One of my friends had the same problem and it turned out to be some torn vacum lines as well as the intake.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah it is quit sluggish in the other gears at lower rpm. If it is a bad flywheel, is driving with it like it is now okay for a few months untill I have the money to replace? It omly happens maybe 50 percent of the time on takeoffs. To prevent I usually have give it a little extra gas when starting off in first, probably around 2-3k rpms

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the same problem, it feels like my car isn't getting enough gas sometimes. I push the gas and it vibrates so I push the gas even more and then it will just shoot up to 3-4k from 1-1.5k. I have a broken tranny mount could that be whats causing it? I think I have a vacuum leak as well, I can hear some air being sucked in from the back of the engine. I think its the egr valve gasket because I can smell exhaust when I get out after taking a short drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts