Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed slack in my shifter, and found that the shifter-side cable linkage bushing crumbled into nothing. I have searched through every outlet I could, including the forum search, to locate this cable bushing.
Does anyone have a part number or solution for this? This is the shifter side of the shift cable that runs through the firewall to the transmission.
I have already installed energy suspension base bushings and transmission-side billet shifter cable linkage bushings.
Clip here of play in shifting

·
Registered
62 Posts
Find a piece of rubber close to the same thickness, drill a hole, cut the outside to fit it tightly in the bushing ring and use flat washers on top and bottom. Had to do this same thing because you can only get that bushing with new cables

·
1,088 Posts
Could also find some round rubber bar that is around the correct diameter and cut a slice off of it. Not sure which is easier in this case. You can order round rubber stock from a lot of places. Just google. One example is mcmaster-carr. They usually have a good selection of materials and durometers (hardness for elastomers).

Or just find a buddy with a lathe and machine yourself up a nice set of brass ones. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went off the suggestions and used what i could find. Ended up using a sliced piece from some extra silicon hose. If anyone needs to follow suit, the hose used was the same diameter as the coolant expansion tank. in outer diameter was slightly too large once set on the post. I trimmed into an octagon to get it to fit. The play is gone, and it fit is snug.

Attachments

·
1,088 Posts
That's awesome! Let us know how long it lasts. If the silicone doesn't hold up, I'd suggest some harder polyurethane. Either that or maybe some standard sized brass bushings would fit. The sell oil impregnated brass bushings in all sorts of sizes. McMaster-Carr has a ton of stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts