Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So this happened yesterday when I was coming home from work...

Normally when shift (manual obviously) if I pull it out of gear it will pop back to the center neutral position and I can play with it back and forth and it will still pop back to the middle...

Now when I shift it now it will shift into all the gears fine, but it won't jump back to the center...

For example, if I shift into 1st normally if I shifted it out it would shift back to center and 3rd would be straight up/4th would be straight down...

Now it doesn't pop back over and up is still 1st/down would be 2nd and I have to force it back to the center to get to 3rd/4th...

Normally I push it left for 1st/2nd and right for 5th/reverse, but now I've got to align it no matter what I want to go to...

Is it something with the shifter itself (IE: Is there a spring or something that normally pops it back to center)... I figured if it was something fluid wise or more in the tranny/clutch I would have problems getting it in gear period...

But I can shift clean...

Thanks,

~Mike

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
You shift linkage needs to be replaced or adjusted. Specifically it is the select cable that is giving you trouble. The shift cable seems fine based on your description. Often it is one of those little metal clips in the linkage that causes problems.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Ok I already am positive what this is. This is a known issue in these cars. First what you have to do is remove the battery, and the battery tray (4x 12mm bolts, 2 10mm bolts) Once you remove it. Look down you will see the shifter cables, there will be two of them with something looking like this.

O------

Where that end of the circle is, it's connected to a rubber bushing which, tends to get worn out with use. Please check the shifter cable did not slip off the bushing or if the bushing isnt worn to out. If so replace it with a OEM bushing or get a EVO 8 brass bushing off ebay ($20 for two) plus they give you crisper shifts.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
I might pick up a set of those as well. For me what broke was one of the clips on the links under the center console.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I ordered the bushings, and if winds up it is the one in the center console I'm putting in a short-shifter so I'll swap those out then...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,
You seem to know a lot about this. My select cable is broken near the bushing. I assume I have to replace the cable. Is that hard to do? Do I have to remove the heating/cooling unit on the engine side?

·
Moved On
1,861 Posts
Question about the EVO bushings. How difficult is it to pop them out? Is it just a couple snap rings or something stupid? Basically I just want to know if I can do this in my driveway. I'd go lok but it's dark and rainy.

·
Moved On
1,861 Posts
I know how to get to them I did my clutch myself but I didn't know the EVO bushings were any different when I did it. Thanks for the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts