Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into buying a short shifter for my car (2001 GS), and in some searching of the forums, I saw that some people recommended gettin new Shifter Stabilizer Bushings when upgrading to a short shifter, and that it is also a great improvement or something? Idk...

But not even knowing what they were, I bought a pack of 'Energy Suspension' ones on Ebay for like $15 when I bought my Megan Short Shifter. So today, I installed the bushings and the short shifter, but I came to find that all that the bushings were for was the gaps between the floor and the frame that holds the shifter all together?

Im really confused now, because I really dont have a clue what the point in replacing those little rubber things is? the old ones seemed to be perfectly fine, and the new ones dont seem like they are going to make any difference with anything.

I've searched around... Are there a different type of 'Shifter Bushings' that are a completely different part? I've read stuff about them being under the hood, something to do with the linkage, and the fact that they make shifting more smooth? If not... Im lost hah.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Keep them on. Ignore the gap. Tighten the bolts and enjoy.

If you want to second guess me, re install the stock rubber ones and see how much the shifter base moves when manually manipulated side to side. Mine wiggled about 3/8ths of an inch from side to side, :(. With the shifter base bushings from ES I did the same thing and the base was planted firm and solid. Don't mind the gap that your referring too and use them. I love the added rigidity that they provide. It's needed with the short shifter .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Back from Deployment
2,001 Posts
Those ES bushings are a great upgrade. The ones under the hood for the cables you can get a speed source or torque solutions. They are both solid bushings vice the factory crap. Even without a short shifter, changing these as well as the shifter base bushings is a vast improvement in shifting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts