Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Eclipse Spyder GT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 Eclipse Spyder GT was hit on the passenger door and the side-impact seat airbag went off.
I've repaired the car and replaced the seat with a junkyard seat with new airbag, but did not replace the side-impact sensor.

So the issue is that I used my OBDII checker and did a reset of the SRS codes and they all cleared, which is great, but is there any chance that the side-impact sensor could set off the new airbag or is the sensor fine since it cleared?

I know the manual says to replace the sensor if it has been in an accident, but they are apparently not easy to source online (a few Mitsu parts places have said they are obsolete) and not sure I trust junkyard units. Any help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
566 Posts
So sorry to hear your Spyder was damaged.. I have done a rather long search for the part you need but came up short. Every where I looked show no availability. You may have to get one from your local auto wreckers.. Possibly do a continuity test to make sure you have a working one.. If I was you I would install this sensor ..I don`t think this is what you want to hear but some times in life we just have to face facts... Sorry bro... Best of luck

·
Registered
2001 Eclipse Spyder GT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I have not been able to find a new part anywhere either. Mine is working and cleared according to the OBD2 and my SRS is cleared, so I'm just going to stick with my current part. I wonder what the dealership and auto body places do when someone brings their car in, used parts as well?

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
566 Posts
If your OBD and SRS are clear then most likely its okay... but there is always a chance of it being defective . I don`t know how you would check this sensor to make sure it`s good. You wonder what the dealership or body shop would do... go ask them. They may have a work around that would make you feel safer when driving.. Ask yourself...am I willing to let my wife or child sit in that seat knowing I could have a defective part. I do not know what this sensor looks like but remember that the Chrysler Sebring / Dodge Stratus are sister cars...many of the parts are interchangeable ...

·
Registered
2001 Eclipse Spyder GT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point on the Sebrings. I'll see if they have the same sensor. If not, I'll most likely get a junkyard one from a non-wrecked vehicle. The one you sent is a front, but mine was only a side airbag. I would definitely be concerned if it was a front, but as it is only a side sensor I'm not as concerned since it isn't even standard for all eclipses to have side airbags. In the end, I'll do the best I can to get it back to stock though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts