Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bicoastal Traveler
8,555 Posts
The DP-1 seems cool, though Sigma's been hyping it for awhile now and keeps delaying it. I'm interested to see what it can do when it's finally released, though. It's about time someone did this.

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have high hopes for this since Sigma's DSLR body bombed from what I've read around the net :happysad:

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which one? They've had a couple bomb :lol:
:lol:

Well, according to Engadget, the DP1 is due out in Spring, which is still vague :lol:

Engadget said:
Sigma's DP1: a DSLR in a compact's body (almost) shipping this Spring - Engadget
Why hello darlin.' As we had hoped, Sigma's DP1 just got a release date. Come Spring, we'll finally see what that 14 megapixel FOVEON X3 sensor found in Sigma's SD14 DSLR can do in a compact's body. That's about 7 to 12 times larger than the sensor found in ordinary compacts. The biggest compromise you'll be making though, is with the lens. A fixed, 16.6-mm F4 lens designed exclusively for the DP1 illuminates each 7.8μm pixel on that 20.7 x 13.8-mm sensor. If you're still game then rounding things out are Sigma's new "TRUE" image processing engine, a 2.5-inch LCD, pop-up manual flash, hot shoe, manual or 9-point autofocus modes, and QVGA movie recording to SDHC cards. All this in a 4.5 x 2.3 x 2-inch body weighing 8.5-ounces. We remain intrigued.

:scratch: Fixed 16.6mm f/4 lens? :twitch:

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
A, S, and M modes sound cool. Wonder how it'll stack up tot eh Canon G9? AFAIK that's the only other compact with "SLR like" abilities.

(Although as an ownder of a G9, I wouldn't say it's anything like an SLR despit the A, S & M modes).

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A, S, and M modes sound cool. Wonder how it'll stack up tot eh Canon G9? AFAIK that's the only other compact with "SLR like" abilities.

(Although as an ownder of a G9, I wouldn't say it's anything like an SLR despit the A, S & M modes).
Imagine the G9 with an APS-C sensor :inlove: :bigthumb:

I think this is a great step. I wouldn't be surprised 5 years from now, there will lots of other compact cameras with APS-C sensors :cool:

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Interesting choice not putting a zoom on that lens. Also interesting that they went with a wide angle.

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Yep. It will have no value to anyone at that price range.

I can see someone cornering the market on a fixed lens rangefinder type camera that we had in the 50's-80's. They used very high quality glass with 40-50mm lenses. They were compact, unassuming, and incredible low light shooters with 1.8 lenses or better and a leaf shutter (way less vibration than a focal plane). A couple of companies... well, one really, have made a rangefinder, but it is an overpriced piece of shit IMO. Throw an APS-C sensor in this:

Charge $400, and I'd buy it tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts