Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Cola
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is just about the first time I noticed it.. The other day I got in my car, revved it a little while reversing I could smell a really strong odor, like the way exahust smells, but much stronger. I would obviously expect to smell something when I'm backing in to it, but not like this...

Then just today, it wasn't cold outside, but when I first started the car, a small puff of smoke came out the tail pipe, enough that i could see it float around the driver side door, and when I got out and looked at the back, it was kind of sputtering out little puffs, not much of anything, but you could see it coming out... then after about a 10 min. drive, there was nothing..

I'm not sure what to search for, or what the problem could even possibly be.. Any and all help/advice is appreciated..

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
It all depends on the color of the smoke. If the smoke had a bluish tint to it, it's from burning oil. If the smoke was white, it's from water getting in the combustion chamber (it would probably have a sweet smell to it though). If it's black smoke, it's from too much fuel that didn't get burnt.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Just check your oil and see if everything appears normal.
:scratch: And what exactly would that tell him if the smoke were black, for instance? Without finding out any more details from the original poster, any guesses like this are just that...guesses. Please people...if you don't know for sure what is going on, don't try and make it sound like you do by stating something so matter-of-factly, which can lead other people away from fixing the problems to their vehicles.

Don't worry whitley87, that's not directed at you, but at the forum in general...too many people just get on here and think they know the ins and outs of troubleshooting vehicle malfunctions simply because something happened to them one time, and one of the "symptoms" happens to be the same. The only way we're going to be able to keep this forum worth while is if people practice a little restraint. Now, if you really think you have a good idea, but aren't 100% sure, say so...say it's just an idea that you think might help, but don't say it in a way that others will think you know from tried and tested experience and/or knowledge...

·
Registered
446 Posts
:scratch: And what exactly would that tell him if the smoke were black, for instance? Without finding out any more details from the original poster, any guesses like this are just that...guesses. Please people...if you don't know for sure what is going on, don't try and make it sound like you do by stating something so matter-of-factly, which can lead other people away from fixing the problems to their vehicles.

Don't worry whitley87, that's not directed at you, but at the forum in general...too many people just get on here and think they know the ins and outs of troubleshooting vehicle malfunctions simply because something happened to them one time, and one of the "symptoms" happens to be the same. The only way we're going to be able to keep this forum worth while is if people practice a little restraint. Now, if you really think you have a good idea, but aren't 100% sure, say so...say it's just an idea that you think might help, but don't say it in a way that others will think you know from tried and tested experience and/or knowledge...
well if he checked his oil and it was milky then he will know it is probably a head gasket if not that eliminates that problem and if it was blue then he would probably be throwing a misfire code due to the fact that oil is mixing with the gas and my guesses are he would have stated that. I was just assuming that if it was black he could have easily seen it and would have said something about it where white/blue can sometimes be harder to see in cold weather. I guess my statement was kinda vague :uh:.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
well if he checked his oil and it was milky then he will know it is probably a head gasket if not that eliminates that problem and if it was blue then he would probably be throwing a misfire code due to the fact that oil is mixing with the gas and my guesses are he would have stated that. I was just assuming that if it was black he could have easily seen it and would have said something about it where white/blue can sometimes be harder to see in cold weather. I guess my statement was kinda vague :uh:.
Burning oil won't necessarily throw a code, and a blown head gasket won't always put coolant in the oil...that's why finding out the color of the smoke is so important before the troubleshooting process starts...:bigthumb:

·
Cola
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
update...

So far... it only smokes when I first started the car.. like this morning, I started it.. didnt have any problems, no smoke or anything.. revved it to about 5k, let it drop, and then.. bam.. here comes the smoke, first a nice big puff, then short little ones...

The smoke was WHITE

and after the car is warmed up, ( I drove for about 5-10 min, car got warm) it doesnt smoke at all

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Is there a sweet smell to the smoke at all (this would let you know if there's coolant or just water getting into the combustion process)?

White smoke is often from a head gasket that no longer seals between the coolant passages and the cylinder. This is often but not always accompanied by water in the engine oil, which will produce a milky film on the dipstick. Any way that water can get into the cylinder can produce white smoke though, so just keep in mind there could be other possibilities than a bad head gasket, but they're not usually as likely.

One way to tell is to do a cylinder leakdown check and listen at the radiator for signs of air pressure (hissing or bubbles)...this would also show you which cylinder(s) it was leaking at. If you do have a bad head gasket, do not unbolt the head while the engine is warm...you don't want to warp the surface of the head, if it isn't already.

A list of any mods, as well as what year, sub-model, and modifications is always helpful when asking for assistance with troubleshooting too...

·
Cola
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my apologies

2001 gt MT 85k miles fed spec.

CAI.

Will update as soon as I check on the radiator thing.

Just wondering what could cause a head gasket to go?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Just wondering what could cause a head gasket to go?
A number of things can cause a head gasket to go bad...poor quality, improper installation, overheating of the engine...the list can actually be quite large, but sometimes they just go with no apparent reason...

·
Cola
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alrighty... update...

I smelled the exhaust smoke... and it was sweet smelling (anti-freeze) So my guess is.. head gasket... well I figured it was just a seal since...

When I first start the car, all the seals are cold (so they are shrunken) When everything is warmed up, they expand causing to make a proper seal. Hopefully thats all it is. If anyone has any other suggestions that would be great..

Also I was looking into probably just getting a whole new head job done, re do everything. Just to make sure all is well and in working order, and won't fail on me. How much is a typical head job (and for those pervs out there, I'm not talking about your corner worker :fever: ) ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'd suspect a head gasket gone bad...the cylinder leakdown test (CLT) would tell you for sure...you know you're getting coolant into the cylinder/combustion chamber, so now you just have to figure out where it's coming from. The CLT will pinpoint which cylinder has the leak as well...

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Can he just check for coolant in the oil? I thought that was a symptom of a blown head gasket.

How many miles on this car and does it get driven hard or at the track?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Can he just check for coolant in the oil? I thought that was a symptom of a blown head gasket.

How many miles on this car and does it get driven hard or at the track?
Coolant in the oil is a sign, but only if the oil passage is not sealed as well...if the leak is only between the coolant passage and the cylinder then there shouldn't be any coolant in the oil...

·
Cola
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is roughly 85k miles on the car

It is not driven at the track, and isnt driven too hard. There is the everyonce in A while thing,but other than that, its easy going. I'm takin it to a shop next wed. And dropping it off so that they can really look everything over, and just let me know what they think. (I know this shop pretty well, they aren't going to screw me over)>

How would I go about getting a CLT?

Also, I wasnt sure if you could have codes being thrown, but no ses light, so I went ahead and plugged it up, and I didnt get anything.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
There is roughly 85k miles on the car

It is not driven at the track, and isnt driven too hard. There is the everyonce in A while thing,but other than that, its easy going. I'm takin it to a shop next wed. And dropping it off so that they can really look everything over, and just let me know what they think. (I know this shop pretty well, they aren't going to screw me over)>

How would I go about getting a CLT?

Also, I wasnt sure if you could have codes being thrown, but no ses light, so I went ahead and plugged it up, and I didnt get anything.
Doing a CLT is very easy...you just need a CLT gauge & hose...I even saw one at Wal-Mart today. You just unscrew one spark plug at a time, then thread the hose into the hole where you removed the sparkplug, hook the other end of the hose up to the gauge, and then turn the engine over a couple times (don't start it...just turn it over). Write down the reading and do the same for the next cylinder, etc...make sure you put the spark plug back in after each reading though. Once you have this done for all cylinders, compare the readings to the specifications in the service manual and see if any are off.

The best way to use this to troubleshoot a problem with a cylinder sealing is to check a couple other items while each cylinder is pressurized. Basically, remove the oil cap, radiator cap, and separate the intake from the throttle body. While each cylinder is pressurized then, listen at all three locations (you may have to open the throttle plate to hear anything there. If you hear hissing at any of those locations, it will give you an idea of the leakage problems:

* Hissing in radiator - leak between that cylinder and cooling passages (probably through the head gasket)

* Hissing in oil fill hole - leak between that cylinder and oil passages trough the headgasket, and/or bad rings

* Hissing in the intake - bad intake valve on that cylinder

* If no hissing is observed at any of those locations, but the compression is low, you may have a bad exhaust valve (you may hear hissing through the exhaust, but not always)

Since you're looking for a coolant leak, the intake and exhaust valves probably aren't a problem, but I included that info just for anyone looking to do a CLT for low compression symptoms...

Reactions: Chato

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Doing a CLT is very easy...you just need a CLT gauge & hose...I even saw one at Wal-Mart today. You just unscrew one spark plug at a time, then thread the hose into the hole where you removed the sparkplug, hook the other end of the hose up to the gauge, and then turn the engine over a couple times (don't start it...just turn it over). Write down the reading and do the same for the next cylinder, etc...make sure you put the spark plug back in after each reading though. Once you have this done for all cylinders, compare the readings to the specifications in the service manual and see if any are off.QUOTE]

sounds more like a compression check, He'll have fun on the rear 3.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts