Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok recently bought this car in july and fell in love with my gt even though i hav put a lot of work into the car and money. i have come to strange sircumstances with what i thought was an oil leek from my rear valve cover gasket. im not so sure anymore. at idle somtimes i will get smoke comming from under my hood and thought it might have bin the rear valve cover gasket leaking oil onto the rear exaust shield. i could see an oil spot and beleave ive fixed the leek with Rtv. heres the strange part my power steering leeks like a siv and drops it all over my cv axle and im begining to suspect that it might be my power steering thats causing the smoke from under the hood. i was wondering iv anyone els had an issue like this or had any ideas because im thinking a fresh pair of eyes so to speak would be a good insite

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,048 Posts
model? year? miles?

Why did you use rtv to seal the rear valve cover? Why not replace it with another new gasket. Is your power steering working? Fluid low? Making noise while turning? Be more detailed

·
54,462 Posts
Is the fluid slinging onto the exhaust? If so then there's your problem. Replace whatever is leaking and see if the smell goes away, do this before the car catches fire please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the valve cover was fixed with a new gasket last week. the oil leak is fine now. its a 2001 gt with 186000 miles on it. the power stearing fluid isnt low but leaks i keep it filled to prevent the noise. and it grones somtimes. yes it is slinging onto the exaust i beleave i narrowd the leak down to the connection on the high pressure line. I wasnt compleatly sure if that was the smell i was smelling. theres enough fluid thrown under the car that its hard to determine the source. i hav bin keeping the rear exaust sprayed off to prevent a fire. just wanted to make sure i had not bin over annalizing my problem and sorry for not giving enough details

·
Registered
51 Posts
The only part of the engine that gets hot enough to burn fluid to a smell or even to a fire, is the exhaust, because nothing cools it down or keeps it from overheating, like the engine has fluid circulation with controlled thermostat
So I agree keep looking at what fluid is getting on the exhaust that is the "evidence" that will lead you to the problem
Good luck!

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Could you put a damp cloth on the area of the exhaust where the leak was dripping, start the car and rev a few times to build up pressure (cause leak) then turn car off, remove cloth and smell it? I would think that it would smell like oil or PS/brake fluid. Then you would know which system to break down and inspect. :dunno:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The issue has bin resolved now. for the most part. spending a few axtra hourse at the shop after work me and another tech pulled this thing appart found that it was a combination of the rear valve cover and power steering. the oil leake was caused by the fact that some of the rear bolts of the valve cover had backed themselves out or wernt tightend down from whover had done work on the car befor me. and it was only the bolts that were coverd bye the brackets that run from the head to the intake manifold and was running down a crease and dripping down the power steering assembly mixxing with the power steering leak and all over the rear exaust manifold. this explanes why i had such frustration trying to find the origin of the leak. replaced the gasket and hardwere. and replaced the seeping from the high pressure line where the crush washer was was also fixed. also replaced the drive belts and alternator. fixed the sun roof. now all thats left to replace is the passenger cv axel and trany mount. its nice to not hav a car that smokes now. it may hav bin alota work to get this car right but she runs damb good now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts