Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
kickin it old school
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the above states, my transmission has decided to take a shit on me. Which I chose to see as a good thing, even though my trusted family mechanic, Tom at Sawyerwood Service states, "it could be anywhere from $500-$1200. I take this chance to maybe build up the tranny while it is out of the car or relatively new (to the car anyways.)
I'm planning on going F/I down the road anyways, but what are some good modifications for this 5 speed that is street driven on normal roads, to a car that is taken to the local auto cross events?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
I threw a limited slip differential, lightweight flyweheel and a spec stage 3 clutch (I dont recommend this so much unless you are going with high boost), in my 5spd daily driver and I love it. Makes driving winding roads a real pleasure :) I would think all 3 mods would help in auto-x as well.

And $500-1200 sounds EXTREMELY cheap to me if you need an entirely new tranny. What exactly happened to yours? Was yur mech going to rebuild it using the old parts or was he talking about completely replacing the entire thing? I would expect to pay that much in labor alone, depending on what you plan to have done. $600 is the typical cost in my area to have a tranny removed and reinstalled. That doesn't include any internal work like rebuilding or install an LSD.

·
kickin it old school
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. As it seems I don't have enough for LSD,a light flywheel and aftermarket clutch seem in question at the least.
As for the pricing, I should have been more precise with my original post. I meant 500-1200 just for the transmission. I was expecting to spend around 600+ on installation and work. Thank you for your help though NC.
I am only 17 and even though I do work often, every penny saved helps me out.
If anyone has any sites for some good priced items that I'm looking for (stated in the above ^) that would be great.
Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Club3g members. (BUT ONLY THE .COM FUCK THE .ORG)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts