Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who all on these boards has a solid running sds? We get on these boards and 9 times out of 10 you are going to see a sds horror story or sds bashing. Is it just that the people who have a good running system don't get on here and tell how good its doing? Of course if something isnt right you're going to come on the boards and ask for help and suggestions. But you barely ever seen somebody come on and tell how good their system is doing, its always something bad. So post up if you have a good running sds. Once I get around to installing mine, lets hope that I can get on here and say it works just fine.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
TheFranchise said:
33,000 miles and going here
My neighbor has a Toyota Corola that smokes, misfires, bad cold starts for about 50,000 miles. But, he's still going I guess :fawk:

Seriously, now that I see this thread again. Everyone has a different perception of "solid". Supaman, when you say "solid" what do you invision as a solid running car?

·
Registered
115 Posts
28,000 miles and runs like a champ... exept for the blow off vlv. mine leaks bad... anyone have a idea for a better one? ....Tearstone... any input?

·
Boosted
3,343 Posts
Tearstone said:
My neighbor has a Toyota Corola that smokes, misfires, bad cold starts for about 50,000 miles. But, he's still going I guess :fawk:

Seriously, now that I see this thread again. Everyone has a different perception of "solid". Supaman, when you say "solid" what do you invision as a solid running car?
Dont bag on the SDS every chance you get. :fawk:

how many turbos go kaboom after 3000 miles :ugh: WAY more than the SDS ever has

i guess those DSMs that idle like shit with cams and injectors pushing 500whp
arent very solid either (granted its still a DSM)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
When I say "Solid", I mean little or no problems. Having just as much reliability as it did when it was stock. Not having to call ripp every other day.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
TheFranchise said:
Dont bag on the SDS every chance you get. :fawk:

how many turbos go kaboom after 3000 miles :ugh: WAY more than the SDS ever has

i guess those DSMs that idle like shit with cams and injectors pushing 500whp
arent very solid either (granted its still a DSM)
Hey, I sell these things now, I have no reason to bag on them. :fawk: You guys that buy this stuff have to live with driving it.

I've never seen a turbo go kaboom after 3000 miles. We have seen legacy or pieced together kits (like xtech kits which did not come with a piggy back and a pretuned baseline) blow engines shortly after installing their kits because the owners did not tune them like they were supposed to. Identical as in the early SDS days before the implementation of the black box. The kits we send out with the pretuned baseline has not caused any failures yet :dunno:. That's the same with the SDS, ever since they put out the black box and drowned those engines with fuel they are not blowing up. Simple as that.

Comparing a build motor to a stock engine saying it idles like crap is like comparing apples to oranges, and you know it :twothumb:

·
Boosted
3,343 Posts
Tearstone said:
Comparing a build motor to a stock engine saying it idles like crap is like comparing apples to oranges, and you know it :twothumb:

true

however i dont agree that detonating copper spark plugs from extreme heat and replacing them with ZEX plugs is very wise. maybe its just my opinion but when i see a copper plug get bent, i start looking at the motor damage as well and trying to fix my tune and temps. i dont consider bending spark plugs a solid car.

btw i witnessed a V6 compression test with 2 cracked pistons give an acceptable psi across the board

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
TheFranchise said:
true

however i dont agree that detonating copper spark plugs from extreme heat and replacing them with ZEX plugs is very wise. maybe its just my opinion but when i see a copper plug get bent, i start looking at the motor damage as well and trying to fix my tune and temps. i dont consider bending spark plugs a solid car.

btw i witnessed a V6 compression test with 2 cracked pistons give an acceptable psi across the board
Very true, the turbos on these legacy kits are too small to run with the stock block. Some of us have solved that problem by upgrading my hot side to a .63. Donny stepped up to the T4 on all the kits and further alieviates that issue with stock blocks. Steve is still running a tiny hot side on his car. While it's awesome for spooling, it's not good for heat management on this stock block.

My point is that when you are hovering over that door to the brink of detonation it just shows how much more effective the Zex plugs are over the coppers. That's not to say that coppers are not useful by anymeans, it is simple comparison.

·
Ripped Evo
1,178 Posts
Tearstone said:
With the kind of bankroll you spent on the 3G, at least make her a 500whp monster starting off :)
I have a 360 kit for a Evo 8 sitting here I hope I can use it on the 9.
I had my heart set on a 02 911 turbo for a summer / weekend car, but Raine wants to move to PA. So a new house w/ a two garageis is now 1st on the shopping list.

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
Kc2Buk said:
I have a 360 kit for a Evo 8 sitting here I hope I can use it on the 9.
I had my heart set on a 02 911 turbo for a summer / weekend car, but Raine wants to move to PA. So a new house w/ a two garageis is now 1st on the shopping list.
With the $$ you should be saving by moving to PA, you can still get your 911 turbo. I guess it depends on how deep into Pennsy you go. Good luck with the EVO 9 :yesway:

Damn NJ is an expensive place to live

1 - 20 of 42 Posts