Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the damn threads on projectors I did not want to add one more but I just got my hids in and want the cleanest install I can have.

I searched on the subject and all I came up with is that the sonars have a perfect cut off line...well I got fucked...my cut off line is horrible....I tried adjusting this but i turned the knob on the back of the lights and it didnt do shit. So I want to see if someone else has had this problem with the sonars because I am blinding people and thats with halogen bulbs.

this pic was taken from a distance of about 15-20 feet...
_______
_____/

has anyone taken their sonars apart to fix this?

·
Registered
241 Posts
all you have to do is adjust them down some man. look on the back of the lights it has how to adjust the height up and down, by turning the knob one way or another..it dont get much more simple than that.

and that knob does do something, a little goes a long way on headlights. just because you dont see the beam move all that much does not mean its no different on the road, cause it will be.

IMO i dont see anything wrong with the cutoff when they are adjusted correctly. in fact i would rather have a slightly sloped cutoff. (more light).. to me its not worth the time and chance of cracking the lens just to have a little more straight line....i dont understand what the big deal is about it?

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
No no no, you have to take them apart and grind down the peice of alluminum creating that shape. The peice of alluminum or metal or whatever it is, is that exact shape causing that shadow or cut-off line effect. If you grind it flat then your cut off line will be flat, its quite easy if you know what im talking about.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i didnt mean that adjusting the beam would make the cutoff more flat. i meant it would stop blinding people like he said he was doing now.

i still dont see what the big deal is with having a slightly up hill cutoff? big deal..

·
Anastacia HOE!!!!
4,507 Posts
If you look at projectors on Oem cars vs yours and do a little more reasearh you will realize that the cut off line is SUPPOSED to be that way. The reason being is they are flat/low like that on the sides because that keeps them from blinding oncoming cars. They angle upward like that to throw the light down the road/ PROJECT down the road so you can see in your lane. That really is how the cutoff lines on projectors are supposed to be. Pay a little attention to the cutoff's on some some OEM cars and youll see what i mean. Now the people that make it flat all the way across are doing that for personal preference basically. Its not neccesarry on the Sonars. When yours are aimed correct your cutoff should be this way

_____/---------- ----------\_________ This how projectors are supposed to project. Nothing is wrong with your Sonars. Now if you are Blinding people like you said then you need to aim them down a little lower. So that when you are coming up behind a car your Cut off is on the top of the rear bumper of the car in front of you. By the way..... is your passenger side lamp not working?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Mine is pretty similar...instead of it looking like this:

________/----------- -----------\_________

it looks more like this:

________/----------- __________/-----------

Do you think we may have just received a couple bad sets where the passenger side cut off is in backwards?

·
We are...Penn State
2,503 Posts
Mine is pretty similar...instead of it looking like this:

________/----------- -----------\_________

it looks more like this:

________/----------- __________/-----------

Do you think we may have just received a couple bad sets where the passenger side cut off is in backwards?
Mine are like that too, Kidney_bean

·
Xenon Powered
1,049 Posts
Your saying you don't what the step in your cut off line. that's what projectors are for on any OEM equipped Xenon car their cut offs are like this

_______/-------________/---------

In this pic you can so how the HID's are supposed to be properly aimed.

As you can see the left side of the buildings is where your traffic would most likely be comming from and it is really dark colored to not blind the on comming traffic, and on the right side is where it should be lit up, for the ditches, and road signs

·
Xenon Powered
1,049 Posts
_____/---------- ----------\_________ This how projectors are supposed to project.

If your cut-off looks like that, your going to be blinding people now matter what, think of it this way,

the left headlight is going to carry over to the right side of the road and the right headlight beam is going to carry over to the left side of the road.

that's what it would look like to oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
i don't remember my sonars having a knob to adjust them....i know my depos did....i thought the sonars had a screw or something to adjust them up and down....or am i just wrong???????????/

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
i don't remember my sonars having a knob to adjust them....i know my depos did....i thought the sonars had a screw or something to adjust them up and down....or am i just wrong???????????/
that's the way mine are. You can also use a phillipshead screwdriver on them,
once installed.

·
Anastacia HOE!!!!
4,507 Posts
If your cut-off looks like that, your going to be blinding people now matter what, think of it this way,

the left headlight is going to carry over to the right side of the road and the right headlight beam is going to carry over to the left side of the road.

that's what it would look like to oncoming drivers.
If they are aimed like they are supposed to be they are not. My cutoff looks just like the cut off on our 06 Honda that came stock with Projectors. Neither blinds people. Ill say it again.... If they are Aimed lower like they are supposed to be it will not blind anyone. Of course if they are aimed up high then its going to blind people. Thats common sense. This is like my 5th set of projectors alone with the cutoff fix that i made a tread on how to get it straight with the Dual Halo's, also all the sets of projectors i have fixed for people to get the cutoff line straight. Im pretty farmiliar with how they should be and how it functions.

On the Sonars its not neccessary to make it straight across because it looks just like OEM. HOWEVER..... some prefer it to be perfectly straight across and that is personal preference. If you want to go through the trouble of doing that then be my guest. But its not neccessary on the sonars. Thats all im saying.

·
Xenon Powered
1,049 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a cut-off like that. I'm not saying your wrong or anything, it's just very odd. Do you have any pics of the cut-off from your 06 Honda?

·
Registered
241 Posts
i agree with nate, thats the way they are supposed to be, if you want a perfect straight line across while decreasing light output go right ahead..seems dumb to me. i mean come on its not like it looks so much more different anyway..

·
Anastacia HOE!!!!
4,507 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a cut-off like that. I'm not saying your wrong or anything, it's just very odd. Do you have any pics of the cut-off from your 06 Honda?
The Cut off line is like what you originally posted i just hit the wrong slant button i guess. I see that now. But either way i dont have the pics of the cutoff on the honda. It looks just like the ones on the TSX if you are farmiliar with those. Looks like what Nate0022 posted.

Heres a older picture of how mine look on the eclipse.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts