Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Skee Ball Champion
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick story...

Was driving along a little harder than i should have been, then i hear a bang and noise i know should be (a cylinder not firing). Pull over and see the connector for cyl 3 sitting up on top of the block out of the hole. Look around and then find this sittting in the corner of the engine bay.

Here are some pictures of it pieced back together

How bad do you think the problem is?

·
54,460 Posts
wow, how old was that plug? you'll need to get the threaded portion out of the head, i suggest you just goto a shop for that so that you dont do any more damage. maybe someone on the base will be able to help you out if you need to keep the cost down. i'd suggest new plugs, wires, cap and rotor all around.

·
Skee Ball Champion
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would do all new but its getting traded in next weekend so i'm tying to keep the cost down. I'm getting towed the the house and going to pull the head off and try and get that piece out. Any suggestion how to remove the threaded piece from it?. Put new plugs and wires in while i'm at it. I just replace the plugs less than 6 months ago because i had oil leaking into the tubes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow, you can call this thread an example of why routine maintenance is important, that plug looks shot to hell.

Edit: PS: Your so lucky you have a 4 banger.

·
Skee Ball Champion
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, just an update...

Got it to the house and realized i cannot get the rest of it out on my own (okay, i'll get to the shop tomorrow). Go to pull another plug and it snapped in half, just the top of it came out, leaving the threads and the bolt still in the tube. Not sure why this is happening as I put a liberal amount of anti-sieze on the plugs when i put them in less than six months ago. More to come when i talk to the shop in the morning.

·
Skee Ball Champion
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to follow up, the shop was able to get the three plugs out after letting them soak in a penetrating lubricant, and they were able to back the other one out somehow. I will be able to pick it up by lunch and will only be $200 (a lot better than i was expecting).

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Thats good news... but it makes me wonder. Did they check the back 3 spark plugs (under the intake manifold)? $200 seems like it would only cover the front 3 :dunno: I'd guess if all 3 in front were beat up or broken then the back ones may be as well.

Also, you mentioned you had oil leaking into your spark plug tubes so you replaced the plugs. Did you replace the tube rings/gaskets as well? When I had oil leaking into my tubes I just replaced the "tube gaskets" (may not be the correct name for them) and that solved the leaks.

·
Skee Ball Champion
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replaced the plugs, gasket and tube seals about six months ago, fixed the leaking oil problem. They only replaced 4 plugs (4 Cyl)

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
:uh: Sorry, didn't notice you had a GS. Ya, $200 sounds pretty good. :yesway: Any idea what caused this issue?

·
Skee Ball Champion
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bad plugs. The other two they pulled looked like they had been sitting in a fire. They were NGK iridiums.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That story is amazing (unfortunately in a bad way). Is this a common problem for the NGK Iridiums? I was looking to get them for my GT, but this is making me rethink that idea...anyone have a good experience with those plugs?

·
Registered
113 Posts
..........o so did not like reading this......i just ordered some ngk iridiums.....but mines a 6cyl, .....i really do hope i dont run into the same problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts