Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so what is the A/F supposed to be at idle?
I currently run NGK copper plugs, does anybody else use iridium plus? would I benefit from using this kind of plugs? my buddy at BAP can hook me up with them for the same price as the regular copper ones, should I use those instead since I am upgrading injectors sometime next week and they will be easy to change?

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
TheFranchise said:
should bounce around 14.0 and 15.3 on the avg. if u are lean, it would def show up on part throttle acceleration, the car would feel like it is flat
:agreed:

Dont use iridium or platinum plugs when going F.I. get some NGK copper or ZEX plugs. Something in the colder spark range.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TheFranchise said:
should bounce around 14.0 and 15.3 on the avg. if u are lean, it would def show up on part throttle acceleration, the car would feel like it is flat
I am gonna have to richen it up a bit at idle then :yesway:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
What do your fuel trims look like at idle?

I ask because if they are at or near zero your efforts to richen it up will be negated by the ECU trimming fuel back to zero.

·
turbo? unf unf!
1,972 Posts
Do you really think your SAFC/E-manage is going to adjust fuelling for Part throttle/idle? Maybe for a few seconds till your ECU gets its way. heh.

·
OMFG
6,632 Posts
:scratch:

You guys do understand that, when the ECU is in closed loop, you cannot tune and maintain an AFR at anything other than an average of stoich (14.7:1), or do you not?

What ChiefBrody was trying to say is that, the ECU will always maintain stoich by adjusting the fuel trims. He is correct. YOu can add or remove fuel all you like, and the ECU is going to bring it back to where it wants it to be: STOICH(14.7:1 average AFR).

Your goal isnt AFR tuning, while in closed loop. Your goal should be fuel trim tuning. You want a ZERO for a fuel trim, or as close to zero as possible. ZERO Means, the ECU is happy, and the engine is happy.

·
turbo? unf unf!
1,972 Posts
my engine is happy with 15.5:1 afr at -10psiG to -6psiG ;p

HAR HaR!

·
turbo? unf unf!
1,972 Posts
nothing like 720km/gas tank!!! on the highway ;p

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NAPALM said:
:scratch:

Your goal isnt AFR tuning, while in closed loop. Your goal should be fuel trim tuning. You want a ZERO for a fuel trim, or as close to zero as possible. ZERO Means, the ECU is happy, and the engine is happy.
I knew this and this is the reason why I started to mess with my idle. I always had a 14.7+/- BUT my LTFT were -11. I started taking fuel away and my A/F went up to 15.7+ but my LTFT didn't change. The car drives fine and I am getting 23mpg. What is going on? how do I drop my LTFT? :confused:

·
OMFG
6,632 Posts
pacoslant said:
I knew this and this is the reason why I started to mess with my idle. I always had a 14.7+/- BUT my LTFT were -11. I started taking fuel away and my A/F went up to 15.7+ but my LTFT didn't change. The car drives fine and I am getting 23mpg. What is going on? how do I drop my LTFT? :confused:
It will change. LTFT takes a little while to change.

Usually you will see instant response on the STFT. So you can make your changes, watch the STFT respond to them. Then wait until the LTFT responds to the change in STFT.

Just keep doing that until you approach zero.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts