Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 eclipse with premium infinity. I have searched and read A LOT but cant find the right answer. I replaced my components and I want to know if it's possible to route a 4 channel amp BEFORE the stock infinity amp for the doors and rears and leave the tweeters hooked to the infinity stock amp. I want to retain my factory head unit also. I've seen the wiring diagrams and was wondering if the color codes are the same for input/ output to the factory amp. And can I just cut the wires I need after the stock amp and retain the factory wire routing?

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
Why would you want to do that? You said you got a set of components. That usually includes tweeters. Sounds like a ghetto install to me. Either use your entire infinity system, or take it all out. You can't run two different systems off of your oem HU. Your wiring and sound quality is going to me all screwed up.

·
Registered
556 Posts
i know exactly what your talking about. my wifes old maxima has factory amps at each speaker location and the speaker wires still went to the bose headunit. when i plugged in her alpine, it sounded like shit. couldnt turn the volume up very loud and the bass was too poppy. I just bypassed the amps.

I just installed a 4 channel amp into my 03 GTS and bypassed the stock amp. the easiest thing to do is to just pull your panels off and write down which wire goes where. word of advise, install a cross-over to your tweeters and center channel line.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. I went on crutchfield and ordered a 4 channel amp and install kit. Next weekend I'm taking the interior apart to install this 100sq/ft of fatmat that I have in the garage. I guess I will just go ahead and put in this new H/U i have lying around and route all new wires at the same time.
The components I bought came with crossovers so I guess I'll utilize them too. Thanks again.
Oh yeah, will that 2 ohm center speaker be ok as long as there is a crossover?

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
You don't need the center channel. It really throws off the sound stage. It will also blow out if you hook it to the HU or the 4 channel. Which 4 channel, amp kit, and speakers did you get?

·
Registered
133 Posts
i like the sound stage the center speaker creates. although im sure you could find make it work the way you originally planned, its not worth it like they said. I have a replacement center speaker so i think it might not blow as easy. is there anyway to get a 5th channel if i wanted to keep it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts