Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Your mom's lover
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 2000 Mitsu Eclipse GT, sporty tranny with 130K miles on it and I use it as a daily driver. My problems started last week, the car was driving normally then all of the sudden on monday I tried to start it and all the lights would turn on inside the car but it wouldn't start and the starter wouldn't even make the clicking sound. So I went ahead and bought a new starter, after i installed it the car still wouldn't start and it was displaying the same symptoms.

I checked all the connections, spark plugs/cables, the car wasn't throwing any codes at all and everything seemed to be fine, so my friend told me to get some carburetor cleaner and spray it inside the throttle body; I did that and the car started right up. He also told me to replace the fuel filter but I didn't feel like taking out the fuel pump so i decided to go the lazy way and got a bottle of highly concentrated fuel injector cleaner, dumped it in the gas tank and everything has been working fine for the last two days or so.

However last night I was driving home on the highway at 4 am doing around 70 to 80 mph and I noticed the speedometer needle was going up and down between 60 and 70 mph randomly and the RPM needle was doing the same thing between 2000 and 3000 revs. I thought the car was about to die because the fuel pump had probably given up on me but I didn't notice any power loss, all the lights in the dashboard, the stereo was working fine and I was able to drive home with no problems at all.

The fuel and temp gauges are working normally and I have never messed with the speedometer or anything on the dashboard for that matter so I'm kinda lost right now. I've been reading around the forums but the only answer that's somehow related to my issue suggests that it's a faulty speed sensor underneath the battery. What do you guys think? Any ideas on how would I be able to fix it? :scratch:

·
Your mom's lover
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I went for a ride about an hour ago and everything seemed just fine. But I will get the alternator checked out, I don't think it's bad but I've noticed an squeaking noise coming from one of the belts so maybe the alternator belt is loose. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
53 Posts
just like Lethal1ty17 said check the alternator, my old 1996 eclipse did the same thing and it was the alternator

·
Your mom's lover
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies guys. i checked the alternator a few minutes ago but the voltage output was 14.22v which falls within the normal range. the battery is brand new and so is the starter.

·
Your mom's lover
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The alternator is fine so I'm gonna try to replace the fuse to see if that solves the problem with the speedometer.

Also the initial issue I was having with the car not starting till I spray carburetor cleaner in the throttle body happened to me yesterday again. My friend told me that it was probably the fuel pump or the filter that gets clogged. I tried to look for the filter but it turns out that it's inside the pump itself. i've been looking all over the forums for instructions on how to replace it but i couldn't find anything so if anyone has a link to the correct thread I'd appreciate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts