Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke my speedometer while changing my gauge lights. If you look at the gauge, there is a copper ribbon that is used to move the needle for the gauge, the one for my take is fine, i can see it, the one for the speedometer though is all screwed up like it came off. I need to know how to get in there to re-spin it. I'm pretty sure I can do it but the plastic cover is connected to the actual circuit board for the speedo. I'm afraid to break the plastic from it get it off but since its only in the corner of the board I cant imagine it would do anything. Anyway, if it comes down to it I will buy a new cluster but if I can fix it myself and save some money I will.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
I dont follow and I have modded 4 or 5 gauge clusters. Can you post a pic of the part you believe is damaged?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tried taking a pic but its too blurry to even understand what i'm talking about, all i can describe it as is there is the silver peg that the needle actually connects to, under that, there is a plastic circle with what looks like crosshairs in it. right underneath that, there is a copper ribbon that is spooled around. I'm pretty sure that i can fix that but i need to get to it. Here is a picture of the plastic I need to remove and the circuit board where the plastic is connected to it

and here is where its connected to the board:

its hard to see but there is a piece connected to the bottom corner of the board

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
never mind, I got in there and pretty much destroyed my speedo, looks like i'll be ordering a new one, i heard they are pretty cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
speaking of getting a new cluster, does anyone have one out there? or would an 02 eclipse AT one work for my 04 eclipse MT? also what happens as far as mileage? does my computer recognize where I am at and it just displays on the new cluster? or does it take over from where the new cluster was at? What i mean is my car has roughly 49k on it. If i buy a new cluster with only 10k does it say my car has 10k or my 49k? or if anyone knows where i can buy just a speedo, I just realized that the gauge unscrews from the back to be replaced.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Just get a whole new cluster. They are usually under $100 here on the boards,, or check your local salvage yard. You need a cluster from a MT tranny.. the Autos look different. As for the mileage... your odometer will show the reading that was from the new cluster and it will not show your original miles. You may want to talk to the dealer about syncing that up or if you sell the car you may be committing fraud.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I bought one off eBay for about $40...LKQ seems to come across them pretty regularly. As for the mileage, as NC said above you can have the dealer sync it (not sure how much it will run) or most states have the option to state that the mileage does not reflect that actual vehicle mileage...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
the only one I can find on ebay is for an V6 AT. Also it says it is only for 2000 to 2002. The plugs and stuff on the back all look the same though. Will it work, functionality wise? I know it's for the V6 but the both redline at 6k so it shouldn't matter, they look exactly the same. I don't care if it has the little PRND stuff. I am going to install ome reverse glow gauges over it anyways so that will be covered. I just really need a new one, being without a speedo sucks, at least I managed to save the tach.

edit: I just looked a little more and found one from an 03 but he doesn't say which engine its from and again its from an AT so idk if it will work

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
the only one I can find on ebay is for an V6 AT. Also it says it is only for 2000 to 2002. The plugs and stuff on the back all look the same though. Will it work, functionality wise? I know it's for the V6 but the both redline at 6k so it shouldn't matter, they look exactly the same. I don't care if it has the little PRND stuff. I am going to install ome reverse glow gauges over it anyways so that will be covered. I just really need a new one, being without a speedo sucks, at least I managed to save the tach.

edit: I just looked a little more and found one from an 03 but he doesn't say which engine its from and again its from an AT so idk if it will work
Not sure if those will work or not. I have an 03 RS AT and bought a cluster from an 03 GT AT and it the gauges acted kind of wierd so I just swapped it back...I've heard some people get lucky with getting speedos from other models though...:ugh2:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok but the AT one will work in the MT? it will just have the lights and stuff for the gears that won't do anything correct? all of this by the way will be covered by my reverse glow gauges anyways

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
ok but the AT one will work in the MT? it will just have the lights and stuff for the gears that won't do anything correct? all of this by the way will be covered by my reverse glow gauges anyways
I couldn't tell you if it would work or not...I don't have a manual transmission...I have an automatic I converted to sportronic controls...if you don't find an MT one, you'll just have to wait and see if someone will respond who's tried it, or bite the bullet and try it yourself...:ugh2:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
i want to buy it but i dont want to order and waste $30. Does anyone out there know whether the AT cluster will work on a MT and will a 2002 one work on a 2004?

edit: basically my point is I can get an 02 AT one for $30 or an 04 MT one for $80

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
egh, I just bit the bullet and bought the more expensive one for my car. I figured I would rather spend the extra money to get one that I know will work. I also grabbed some glow gauges while I was on ebay :fawk:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts