Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
New guy here, first post :)

I searched the forum for speedometer and did not find my specific issue so I figured I would post.

I have an 04 Eclipse GT Spyder A/T. I took my speedometer panel off the other day and removed the orange color from the gauges. Put everything together and thought everything was great. When I started to drive my car. I noticed that the speedometer is sort of working. It seems to be hesitating. As I speed up or let is slow down the needle does move but seems to stick. To give an example, google maps would show me at 50mph but the speedometer shows 40. then eventually it will jump up to 50. same with decelerating. When the speedometer catches up, it matches what google maps is showing for my speed. Would this be a bad Speed sensor? I am not getting any lights showing on the console indicating an error.

·
Registered
465 Posts
If you removed the needles to take the cluster background out then you need a scan tool to set them correctly again. Could also be a damaged motor if you were too rough when removing the needles. More than likely they're just not set right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thank you. I don't think I was rough getting them off as I used 2 spoons to pop them off easily. Putting them back on may have been a little pressure. What scan too are you referring to? I don't have any hardware like that anyways, so would it be better to take it to a shop and have it done?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Okay thank you. I don't think I was rough getting them off as I used 2 spoons to pop them off easily. Putting them back on may have been a little pressure. What scan too are you referring to? I don't have any hardware like that anyways, so would it be better to take it to a shop and have it done?
Any scan tool that can read rpms and vehicle speed will work. You will have to rev and hold the car at a certain rpm, lets say 3000 rpms (according to the scan tool), and then put the needle back on at that same rpm. It's not the easiest process. Then for mph you'll have to jack up the front end and hold a speed, lets say 50 mph (according to the scan tool), before putting the needle back on at that speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I'm testing it out but I think it may have been the circuits themselves. When I pulled the guages the first time I noticed that the paper thin circuit board on the back had sharp bends for the parts where the connectors plug into. I pulled them out and straightened them. I them pushed the connectors for the guages back into their slots and it seems to be working so far. So it may have just been a connectivity issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts