1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: 04gsNA

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My question is, why?

Why not 5-spd, if you were going to do a swap?
A few reasons. The sporty swap cost me way less than a 5-speed swap would have. I had zero down time during the conversion. My wife doesn't know how to drive a 5-speed, and I don't really want to teach her on a car I plan on putting a lot of power into. Also, going through the gate to get on base during high traffic times just sucks with a manual.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you have to wire in the cluster for it to work? What wires run from the shifter to the ecu?
You shouldn't have to run the wires to the gauges...you just wouldn't know what gear you're in. There are only 5 wires that have go to the shifter (one supplies power, four are from the PCM). If you go this route, you wouldn't have to worry about having the proper terminal ends for the PCM or gauges either. Look at the how-to and disregard any wires that go to C-41 or C-43. Let me know if you need me to get more detailed on it...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
581 Posts
if you didnt want the lights on the cluster could you setup something like leds somewhere else on the center console? i have a galant and im pretty sure the gs cluster will not fit in the galant so is it possible to use something else as a gear indicator...

if possible could you take a picture of the back of the gs guage cluster? the galant uses two plugs into the cluster and they are both about 4inches long how many does the gs have?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you didnt want the lights on the cluster could you setup something like leds somewhere else on the center console? i have a galant and im pretty sure the gs cluster will not fit in the galant so is it possible to use something else as a gear indicator...

if possible could you take a picture of the back of the gs guage cluster? the galant uses two plugs into the cluster and they are both about 4inches long how many does the gs have?
I don't see why you couldn't use any light you wanted and put it where ever you want...I went with the sporty cluster to keep the factory look, but all you're doing is powering a bulb. I'll try and take the cluster out this weekend and take a pic for you, but the Eclipse clusters have three long flat plugs that hook up to the back...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
581 Posts
oh ok then its probably not gonna work lol

so instead of those wires going to the guages they would just go from the pcm straight to the lights of your choice... that sounds good

im going to have to try this... what do the connectors look like on the shifter? i hate trying to figure out stuff without the parts in hand lol but your tutorial is helping alot i sent you some positive erep man

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh ok then its probably not gonna work lol

so instead of those wires going to the guages they would just go from the pcm straight to the lights of your choice... that sounds good

im going to have to try this... what do the connectors look like on the shifter? i hate trying to figure out stuff without the parts in hand lol but your tutorial is helping alot i sent you some positive erep man
The wire for the "D" light comes off the shifter, but the rest come from the PCM. The "P" "R" and "N" will have to be tapped from existing connections, and the "1" "2" "3" and "4" will have to be added into the connector...but yeah, I don't see why you couldn't just hook them up to any indicator lights you want to put together. There is only one connector that plugs into the shifter (on the right side near the back). It'll make a lot more sense once you get the parts...if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask...:D

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
blerh sporty , maual.. same thing :/ you can just manually shift gears?
:scratch:...well, they're not really the same thing. With a manual, you can't sit in stop-and-go traffic without giving your left leg a good workout, and with the sporty, you don't have to worry about a clutch that wears out or a wife that doesn't know how to drive a manual...plus, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a manual swap, and most people can get quicker shifts with it...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not only quicker shifts, but you can hold the tranny to redline and not have it shift early at 5600rpm
Very true! It really feels like a new car since I did the swap! :twothumb:

·
Registered
232 Posts
OH i meant LOL sporty and auto same thing.. my bad LOL

and on my manual car on stops im in neutral, screw holding the clutch pedal down all the time LOL

·
Registered
61 Posts
and most people can get quicker shifts with it...:bigthumb:
most people who know how to drive a manual get quicker shifts than the sportronic can ever do.. also you'll get stomped by anyone with a manual on the same engine because of gear ratios :rofl::fawk:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...and on my manual car on stops im in neutral, screw holding the clutch pedal down all the time LOL
Agreed...going through the gate on base though is usually a slow crawl instead of actually coming to a complete stop...it's a royal pain on my Harley, and was back when I used to have a manual trans car as well...:ugh2:

most people who know how to drive a manual get quicker shifts than the sportronic can ever do.. also you'll get stomped by anyone with a manual on the same engine because of gear ratios :rofl::fawk:
I highlighted the key phrase...most people who drive a manual don't know how to properly speed-shift one...unfortunately, the same goes for the sporty as well...most people who drive sporties aren't necessarily the quickest at slapping through the gears.

What it comes down to, a seasoned driver who is used to manuals should probably stick to that platform...a seasoned driver who is used to manually-controlled automatics (especially with a ratchet shifter) should stick to that.

As for the average driver, which would encompass most drivers (as I orginially referred to), a greater percentage would be able to shift faster with a sporty than a manual...:ugh2:

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
a computer can shift faster, but the trans wont shift faster. remember the computer still has activate the solenoid to shift and all.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...remember the computer still has activate the solenoid to shift and all.
True, but the average driver cannot depress the clutch, shift the transmission, and release the clutch faster than the soleniod can divert fluid flow, engaging the next piston...

The debate can go on without ever ending since some people are set on manuals and others are set on manually-shifted automatics...nothing that is said here will change some peoples' view on that matter. If someone really feels the urge to continue the manual vs. sporty debate, go ahead and open another thread for it...:ugh2:

The intent of this thread though was not to debate which was better between sporties and manuals...the intent was to discuss the process of converting an RS automatic to sportronic controls (since the How To section is supposed to be discussion-free)...let's get back on track and keep this focused on the initial subject...:bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts