Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I have been having some Major issues with my '01 top. The stitching and seal have worn out and the rear window has actually mostly fallen off. I have water getting in the car and what not. Essentially I need a new top.
I have called a local top shop and they charge in the ups of 1300 bucks to fix, I just don't have that kinda of money right now.
I have found this on ebay and I want to know if it looks any good as a replacement right now. They advertise instructions and a 5yr warranty, and my dad and I can put it in.

EDIT: The ebay company has another website. Their company and products look good, but how hard is it to install the top? Anyone?

Also, any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Thun :bigthumb:

·
Registered
34 Posts
dude i dont own a spyder but fucc paying 1300 for a top...that ebay one is much cheaper and their offering a really good warranty..if you and ur dad can put it in then just go for the ebay one....if anything goes wrong its covered...i would get it
-Matty

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
I paid $600 for a new top to be installed. Search and I'm sure you'll find all the info from my install. $300 for the top and $300 installed by a local upholstery guy. Looks just like OEM.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Ive heard it very veeery difficult to install yourself, I would definitely look around for places like the upholstery guy NCspyderGT found.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have ordered my top from Topsonline and we will see how hard it is to get it installed. I have one more local shop to call, but they need to see the actual top before they give me an average. If my dad and I end up putting it together I will do a How-to guide to the best of my ability.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Price has gone up since?

Old thread but I notice the guys here would rather people not start new threads.

I'm having a similar issue and looked online. Prices now are up to $750 for canvas material and glass defroster rear window. They can be as low as $450 for vinyl cloth with a plastic window. Idk the advantages and disadvantages of each but I'd rather the glass with defroster with the canvas which will be as close to oem as it gets, right?

Am I looking in the wrong place or am I right in assuming that prices have just changed since 07?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just found one on amazon for less than $300. I went ahead and bought it, but all I got was the custom fit fabric piece with the window installed. There is nothing wrong with it but it is not a kit with replacement parts or instructions or anything else. I cannot find any help for what to do with this anywhere. considering these cars are at least 10 years old now, this should be becoming a more common problem to worry about and I would hope that anyone who got around to figuring this out can post some helpful information, even if its just an installation guide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just replaced mine on my 2002. It cost me almost $500 online. I installed it myself. It was a job but not real hard just time consuming. Two things I found important were when stapling new top to the rear bow make sure it is lined up perfectly along the bottom. Maybe even pull a little more top down around the bow accross where the back window is. The other is when stretching and attaching to the front piece, stretch it super tight. Make sure the front stretches far enough that the top covers the metal out on the edges of the front piece. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 Eclipse Hood Installation (Spark Deniero)

U Can Order A Top Headliner On EBay With Free Delivery For Under $250. Then install It Using 2 Different Size "Star drill Bits "That Fit The Top ". Take out Back , front & sides of the star bits that hold the material, 2 corners on the bottom will be a tight squeeze so a little socket wrench is needed. After U losen Up the screw that holds the bar on the inside of the of the door on both sides, just push down to pop the top material Out The back of the window . Pull off the Old Convertable Top material (only Top) inside layer can stay as unless damage (they are Seperate & it isn't apart of the leak problem). Lay new Top on & staple material back to inside bar again on both doors (edge to edge), then continue to staple material along bar rod accordingly, cement glue the edges that come extra on material edges into the trunk rim again. Drill the rest of the Top material back with the screw holes that locks it tight & work your way to the from of the convertable too until it's tightly fit & drill it close with the holes that support the Tops material. When putting rubbers back on, just be sure u click in the center of the rubber Snug tight inside the metal bar ( the top & bottom of the rubber will fit 100% better Like new now) because this may be the r eason your Top was leak all along ? #SparkDeniero SUBSCRIBE To My Youtube

1 - 12 of 12 Posts