·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys
had some rain and let’s say i wasn’t planning for a mobile pool party
Hood Road surface Asphalt Water Automotive exterior

Liquid Automotive tire Asphalt Food Cookware and bakeware

after some soft top inspection i found the tension cables have snapped over aging. i found where they connect nearest to the windshield, but i can not find where the other end of the cable runs to. would i need to take the entire top off or can i access it from the back trunk by removing the carpet lining?
i haven’t pulled the lining off because i’m afraid of the tabs breaking, and discovering that i can’t find what i’m looking for behind the lining, leading to a unneeded sacrifice of the tabs.
by the way this is a 2003 Spyder GT V6

also, i found this mount in the back, what was once here before??
Motor vehicle Wood Hood Vehicle door Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt

Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

thanks guys for any info 🙏

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT
473 Posts
There's a walkthrough here on replacing the convertible top, and at one point it shows how to replace the cables.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a walkthrough here on replacing the convertible top, and at one point it shows how to replace the cables.

awesome thank you
also do you know what that holster thing is in the trunk?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
new issue. it started to rain so i went to O’rileys 2 mins from my house to get a cover. as soon as i got into the drive way the engine light came on. it’s still down pouring right now. i made sure not to throttle it in the rain, but at a stop light a large lifted ram did a burnout in a puddle of water throwing water all over the car. should i be concerned?

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Here is a link to the cables you need... Side Tension Cable, Mitsubishi, Eclipse, 2000-2005
That little gadget in the picture should have a pin that holds that yellow handle in place. It releases the trunk lid if by chance you get locked in there. What are the chances of that happening?
You will have to remove the rubber trim above the back quarter glass and then remove the metal trim that holds that rubber. With the top open halfway you will have to peel the top away from the frame and then you will see where the other end of the cable goes. There is a small spring at the end of the cable that fits into a tab. Once you see it you will understand. You will need some contact cement to reglue the top in place. Watch this short video and it will give you an idea of how it's done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a link to the cables you need... Side Tension Cable, Mitsubishi, Eclipse, 2000-2005
That little gadget in the picture should have a pin that holds that yellow handle in place. It releases the trunk lid if by chance you get locked in there. What are the chances of that happening?
You will have to remove the rubber trim above the back quarter glass and then remove the metal trim that holds that rubber. With the top open halfway you will have to peel the top away from the frame and then you will see where the other end of the cable goes. There is a small spring at the end of the cable that fits into a tab. Once you see it you will understand. You will need some contact cement to reglue the top in place. Watch this short video and it will give you an idea of how it's done.
awesome thanks
looks like it’s easy work but very time consuming. especially in this 100°+ arizona heat 😩

·
Registered
1 Posts
Holster thing holds the 'emergency trunk opener' pull handle.
Yellow in color.
According to the glyphs, pulling it sets the kidnapp victim stored in your spacious trunk free.
I wish they would put out a service bulletin on how to delete it. :)

White Black Musical instrument Guitar accessory Road surface

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Deleting the safety handle in the trunk is easy. Just remove it. There is no benefit in removing it...Why you would want to do this is your own business I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts