Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A representative from Gold Eagle came to our shop talking to us about fuel additives and gave us some free stuff. I got a 10oz bottle of...
STA-BIL® Ethanol Treatment

I'm not very experienced with using fuel additives, i usually just get fuel injector cleaner for the Eclipse and take her to BP (because of the invigorate)

Now this product claims.....and i quote:

"
~Perfect for use in cars, trucks and small engines!
~Prevents corrosion caused by today’s Ethanol blended fuels
~Helps remove water from Fuel
~Cleans fuel injectors, carburetors and intake valves for better, overall performance
~Recommended for use at every fill up
~Keeps your engine running smoothly
~Effective in ALL Ethanol blends, to E-85 "

What is your opinion guys & gals???

~I will review this product....eventually... we were all given a bottle at the shop and all own different cars...

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts
As long as my fuel is filtered and doesn't have water in it I tend to not care. However it doesn't hurt (IMO) to use these types of additives from time to time, "I don't always use additives, but when I do, I use Seafoam"

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: Gave it to my friend, he drives an '07 Grand Prix GTP. He like the stuff, it doesn't hurt the car it just cleans out the ethanol they add to the gas now. It is something you have to put in your car regularly though.
My opinion:
:noway: No, i rather pay a few extra cents at BP because of the invigorate than $5+ for a bottle of additive.

As for my car, it gave up on me:facepalm:

·
54,481 Posts
I don't think people understand chemistry. The only way to remove ethanol from gasoline is to bond it to water, then either distil the solution into gasoline, ethanol, and water or to let it settle out into water/ethanol on the bottom and light gasoline then pour the gasoline off. Of course you'll be getting some crappy low octane gas since ethanol is an 'octane booster' in gasoline. There's no simple way to duck this, other than to drive outside your region. Though with ethanol subsidies for corn ending we might see fuel ethanol loose out. Food crops should not be fuel crops.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think people understand chemistry. The only way to remove ethanol from gasoline is to bond it to water, then either distil the solution into gasoline, ethanol, and water or to let it settle out into water/ethanol on the bottom and light gasoline then pour the gasoline off. Of course you'll be getting some crappy low octane gas since ethanol is an 'octane booster' in gasoline. There's no simple way to duck this, other than to drive outside your region. Though with ethanol subsidies for corn ending we might see fuel ethanol loose out. Food crops should not be fuel crops.
I really doubt that it cleans the ethanol out too...it's just what the representative from Gold Eagle told us. I agree they should get rid of this ethanol crap as an octane booster. I forgot what they used before ethanol ( i think it was alcohol, i know lead used to be used long ago).

I personally just use fuel injector cleaner and a good gas station although these additives somewhat work...

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts
Though with ethanol subsidies for corn ending we might see fuel ethanol loose out. Food crops should not be fuel crops.
QFMFT

It's been a good while now but my environmental bio teacher mentioned that he used marine fuel (can't remember if he said it was in his car or not) but, if I'm not mistaken, he saw better value in using that instead -- marine fuel not having ethanol, etc.

·
Chuck Nasty
3,855 Posts
i like techron and tell everyone i know to use it. if memory serves, didn't some chemical engineer on here do tests and found that techron is best? all i know is i use it once a year and my old ass injectors and fuel pump run perfect. that and some marvel mystery oil once a year now in the oil.

·
Chuck Nasty
3,855 Posts
besides i thought stabil was for when you want to let a car sit for months or years without gas breaking down and clumping up?

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
We put it in our bikes in the wintertime, works great. My stepfather uses it every few fillups, keeps the carbs clean
:agreed:

I used it last winter and worked great!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.