Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have had my Eclipse for a week now or so and just today i was on the highway doing about 60 or so and I started to slow down not like as hard as i could push but with some good pressure to turn. I was in 5th and i down shifted to 2nd to make the turn and right as i was getting ready to make it i noticed my power steering was no more. It scared me very badly to loose your power steering in the middle of a turn. I let go of my clutch and it was enough to jump my car back on. It did this twice more after in the same scenario. Please this is quite dangerous...any ideas? My car has a 30-day 3000 mile power train warranty if anything is wrong with either.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
so you shifted at 60 to 2nd gear redlined; you probably encounter understeer. take it easy on the car since you are not used to it all cars drive differently.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no no no if you read my post i still had my clutch in the whole time. I started slowing down from 60 and pushed in my clutch to get ready to shift which i did. My clutch was still in when i reached maybe 20 mph and i was getting ready to let it out to turn when i noticed it shut down.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand why now. I have never owned a car before with a manual transmission although I did learn on one before this. I realized that sometimes when i brake I hold in my clutch pedal while braking and i let my rpm's get too low this way and the car will shut off. I didn't really know that

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I understand why now. I have never owned a car before with a manual transmission although I did learn on one before this. I realized that sometimes when i brake I hold in my clutch pedal while braking and i let my rpm's get too low this way and the car will shut off. I didn't really know that
If you push the clutch in with the brake pedal the engine should just idle...it shouldn't stall...think of it the same way if you had the clutch in and your foot on the brake at a stoplight...you're separating the rotating assembly of the engine from the transmission. How does the car idle at a stand still, with the clutch in with the transmission in gear, and with the clutch out with the transmission out of gear? It could be an idling problem, or possibly a clutch problem...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it idles at a stoplight with a brake and clutch in just fine. It only seems to happen when i slow down fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts