Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 mitsubishi Eclipse GTS Auto Sportshift. I have had a 3" racing exhaust and a cold air intake for a few years. I had my license suspended and din't drive my car for a while ~1year. I started her here and there, moved her around a bit. Had it in storage. I pulled it out like 3-4 months ago, change fluids. I was driving it with no problems for about a month. Then, as the weather got a little colder in the Fall, I noticed that when it was colder, after sitting overnight, I'd start the car and it would hesitate to start for a little bit then fire up. And if I shut it off and start it again within a few hours, it started up no hesitation. However if I would leave it without starting it for like 8 hours or more, it would hesitate the first time I start it. I had a valve cover gasket leak. Needed to do plugs and wires too. So since I had to take my intake off, I tore it apart, ordered valve cover gaskets (front and back) an upper intake manifold gasket, new spark plug wires, 6 Bosch Platinum IR Fusion spark plugs, and a new air filer for the CAI I had. So I replaced all of that and got that taken care of. While I already had a project going I decided to fix my front suspension by getting new strut and spring assemblies and sway bar links (Unrelated). But point is, after all that work, I started driving her again. First time I started it up, it idled a little high, but it settled itself out now. I drove it fine a couple days, then noticed it was doing the same thing, but worse :-( After sitting overnight, or more than 8 hours, the first time I start it, it seems like it's choking, struggling to start. I barely see the needle spike past 500 RPM, and it dies after like 5 seconds of an attempt. Then if I turn the key again, starts up just fine. And it continues to start just fine if I shut it off and start it again within just a few hours. But outside of that, I have trouble. Now I had this problem before the work I did, so I know it's not directly related to something I forgot. But just in case, I made sure I didn't forget any vacuum lines or anything when reassembling the intake.

Better yet... Get this... I always have my check engine light on due to my illegal exhaust, oops. But I've always been able to scan for codes periodically. And before I ever even let the car sit in storage, it stopped working. The module won't even power on when connected to my obdII port. :dunno:
I'm going to start with some sensor replacements. But any ideas would help. I feel like we're not gunna luck out for much longer with no snow. So I want to try and get this targeted quick as possible.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Just my opinion do not start putting anymore money into sensors or anything. That's aimlessly throwing away money. I mean if the sensors arent bad and you buy new ones, you just threw away money. Now with the obd scan. Have you tried wiggling the the plug? I lnow that sounds simple but thats a possibility with that situation. Lastly AIR,FUEL,SPARK, what are you not getting? Also check your throttle position sensor and idle air control connections. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input on the OBD port. I'll check that soon as I can and see if that resolves it. As far as air fuel and spark, I seem to be getting all. I double check to see if my fuel pump was engaging properly after sitting. On the first turn without starting it I can hear it power. So idk. I just installed a new air filter with an electric fan on it though, so that's new. But it's definitely sucking a lot of air. It's certainly audible when driving. All six seem to be firing just fine. And I have those brand new wires and plugs. It almost acts like it may be flooded after sitting. It runs beautifully otherwise. Once I get it started it really behaves flawless. One thing I noticed now is my purge valve solenoid is clicking bad. I will probably have to replace hat now. If I can't figure out that issue with it starting I might focus on the OBD port to see what codes it's throwing, that might clue me in. I definitely appreciate any and all feedback though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts