Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am a network engineer and not a mechanic (or even close) but I am quite brave :p I have done a lot of repairs to the car myself becuase it is cheaper and sometimes I get it done better :p
I usually just need a little guidance so I have a better idea on what I am doing.
My started just started to make noise like if I kept trying to start the car even though it is on. I know that this is probably something to do with something on the starter being wear down, but what is it and how difficult is to fix? Input greatly appreciated.
My belts also need replacement because it is doing that annoying noise when the belt is slipping. With the belts I am going to have some help to install from someone that actually knows mitsu eclipse, but I need to buy the parts and I was wondering what were the recommendations. Is it the same if I get them from a dealer than if I get the parts from somewhere else?
I was told also that I should replace the timing belt as well. Any suggestions for that?
and since we are going to be opening the motor to replace the timing belt, anything else that I should look at to replace?
My car is a GT 01 with 129K miles. It was sitting for 10 months so I just replaced several things (and still need to replace some brake parts that are rusted) so money is a bit tight since I already spent a lot, but I always try to replace the parts with better or performance parts, and the best time to do it is when parts need to be replaced ;)
Please let me know what are your thoughts

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
I would ecommend using Mitsu OEM belts. They say you should replace the water pump at the same time thatyou do the timing belt too. As for the starter, I would check and see if there is a relay specifically for that and if so replace it. I can't think of anything else that would cause the starter to keep on trying to start :dunno: I'm sure someone else will have more specific info.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I was talking with the person that will help me replace everything and he suggested to check for the parts, but we will open the motor first and see what we need to replace. With 129K there might be something else that will need to be renewed in the engine :p
I will have to wait 2 weeks, since for this we will have to do it in a Saturday (so the dealer is open)

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
How long have you had the car? If the timing belt was done at 120k, it doesn't need to be done now. I'd recommend the mitsu belts as well. They last a lot longer. I usually tell people timing every 60k, doing the water pump every other timing belt. If you don't know the car's prior history, then you should guess that the timing belt wasn't done at 120k, because the serp belts would have probably been done at the same time. That means you should do the timing belt, water pump, and serp belts now.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
If you don't know the car's prior history, then you should guess that the timing belt wasn't done at 120k, because the serp belts would have probably been done at the same time. That means you should do the timing belt, water pump, and serp belts now.
if they havent been replaced then replace the timing belt tensioner and idler pulley.
All of these ^ (timing belt, timing belt tensioner, timing belt idler pulley, water pump, & serpentine belts)...if you don't know the maintenance history of the car...it'll save you a lot in labor to do it all at once.

As for replacing your brakes simply because they're rusty from sitting, are you talking about the rotors having surface rust? If so, just take the car for a little spin and all that surface rust will come right off the first time or two that you apply the brakes...:bigthumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts