Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title was the short version. Now for story time. (02 V6 Auto)
Last Friday on the way home, my wife stopped to refuel. She called me with a no start issue. On arrival I found a puddle of water under the passenger side... Time for a timing belt kit and a water pump. After seeing that, I topped of the radiator & overflow tank & I had her attempt a restart. It started and idled. She ran the rest of the way home. Once home, I put it on the ramps and began the pain in the ass timing belt + water pump. After all was put back together and the car was running, I went to show the wife and it went from idling fine to coughing/sputtering & stalled out. Wife then tells me that's what it did at the gas station.

So far, if I let it cool down between attempts, the car will run fine for 1-3 minutes before it starts to run rough & stalls. Throttle will not keep it running. After it starts running rough, it will not restart & idle. It will bust off if I spin it over with throttle, but it bucks a few times and dies.

...now for the fun part... The OBDII port isn't working. This port was working Feb-Mar 2020. I have checked fuses. Nothing blown. Will be attempting to back trace.

An additional detail that I don't believe has any bearing on the current issue... In the months leading up to this fiasco, the power locks have been tripping out... They constantly click locked.

Anybody wanna buy an Eclipse? No, seriously.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The locks are controlled through the ETACS module which has no bearing on how the vehicle runs. The only thing they have in common is that they ground through the chassis. Since multiple systems are being effected I'd recommend repairing all grounds (front head, intake to firewall, LF strut tower, etc) and clean both battery terminals. See if that makes any difference before throwing parts at it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts