Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my 03 Spyder GT and behind the steering wheel there are two buttons.. I couldnt find these buttons in the manual. Does anyone know what these buttons are????

·
Resident Asshole
6,056 Posts
dkuwf15 said:
Just bought my 03 Spyder GT and behind the steering wheel there are two buttons.. I couldnt find these buttons in the manual. Does anyone know what these buttons are????
its for the stereo

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought it was for the stereo but because it came with an aftermarket head unit.. i couldnt test it out... Thanks for the input

·
Engineer/Firefighter
1,369 Posts
dkuwf15 said:
I thought it was for the stereo but because it came with an aftermarket head unit.. i couldnt test it out... Thanks for the input
It's actually 6 buttons, 3 on each side.
And if your aftermarket stereo comes with a remote control you can put those buttons back into service if you'd like.
If you're interested I can tell you how.

·
Engineer/Firefighter
1,369 Posts
For a start go to www.crutchfield.com and search for "Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface".
PAC makes several for specific brands of aftermarket headunits or you can get the SWI-X which works with pretty much any stereo that has a remote control.

With the SWI-X basically you teach your steering wheel buttons to duplicate whatever function of your radio remote control you wish and you install the infared eye of the SWI-X unit to point at your radio.

From crutchfield: You want to install a non-factory replacement radio in your vehicle, but you hate to give up the convenience of your factory steering wheel radio controls. No worries! PAC's SWI-X interface allows you to use the steering wheel controls in a wide variety of vehicles to command any aftermarket radio with wireless remote capability.

Installation is straightforward — just connect a few wires (a 3-wire hook up in many cars). Programming is made easy with step-by-step LED confirmation. Once connected, the SWI-X's failsafe memory will learn up to 12 functions from your receiver's wireless remote, retaining them even if battery power is interrupted.

They start around $70 but search and you'll find them cheaper.

Here's another option:
The $30 PAC Racerboy SK-1 Shift Knob lets you use the 3 buttons on top of the shift knob instead of the steering wheel controls.
Just like with the other, you program these buttons to do functions of your wireless remote.
They come in several colors too.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Dont waste money on the POS PAC. Its impossible to program and never works half the time regardless. I bought one and it sucked. Then I found the Metra Axxess ASWC. It automatically programs the keys for you. You can also manually program it and it's still 10x easier to install and use.

·
Registered
43 Posts
use a Metra ASWC. it's worked great with a kenwood and now a sony head unit. it autosenses and it plugs in so no messing with IR blasters or anything.

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
i believe andy001 is a spam bot, but need more proof. he has never answered any of my direct questions to him about what he has posted, and the posts tone's range from poor translation to great english..
Talking to robots again huh???

·
Registered
1 Posts
@SpyderMan03 or anyone that can please tell me where the steering wheel control wires are exactly so i can hook them up to my aftermarket stereo. not really where they are but more like which ones are they. so could you please help me. thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
The green with black stripe gets grounded to the car and the green with orange stripe is the learning wire that goes to the stereo. The stereo I installed was a Hieha H901, which doesn't require an interface. You teach it each button directly from the car. If you use an interface it will need to be powered and grounded as well. I hope this helps. My car is an 04 Eclipse GT. Probably the same for 03-05 models.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
835 Posts
i believe andy001 is a spam bot, but need more proof. he has never answered any of my direct questions to him about what he has posted, and the posts tone's range from poor translation to great english..
Andy001 has been banned...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts