Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I have a different problem...

Recently my passenger side front tire went flat. I had a blow-out at my work parking lot. I didn't notice that it was flat until I came out of work to go home....It must have been flat for about 6hrs...

I notice that it was flat...drove around about a 1/2 mile to the sears auto center to have them put the spare tire on. They put the spare tire on....and I went to another dealer to get a set of tires. I got the tires and found out that the tires were the incorrect size. They gave me 205/50/17's when I was supposed to have 215/50/17's....I noticed that steering wheel started to vibrate only after I went 65mph or more....I accelerated to 100mph and the vibration got worse. I had the tires changed back to the correct tire size and specs....got them rebalanced....and rechecked, even got an alignment. I got the same vibration.

What could be the problem.... I searched around on the site, and excluded brakes because i had them check those...The only thing I can think of is a bent/chipped rim...

Any other ideas?

Thanks

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
Never drive on a flat tire. Just put on the spare. You probably ruined that rim.

·
stupid booster
7,219 Posts
ITs 100 percent a balancing issue. Make sure they rebalance the tires and while they are doing it see if you can watch. Check for a bent rim or something while they do it. Its a balancing issue for sure

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
ITs 100 percent a balancing issue. Make sure they rebalance the tires and while they are doing it see if you can watch. Check for a bent rim or something while they do it. Its a balancing issue for sure
:agreed:

Having busted tires for years when I started out in this industry, I can assure you that just because someone uses a tire/wheel balancer, they don't necessarily know how to properly use it...let alone utilize all of it's features. Also, what type of balance did you get...dynamic (wheel weights on both sides of the wheel), or static wheel weights on just the inside), and did they use the hammer-on type of weights (and if so, did they use the correct type for your rim edge) or stick-on weights? Did they remove all the old weights? Do you see where this is going?

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
^^^ :agreed:

·
Stock N Slow...
163 Posts
Having just seen something like this a couple days ago,(i work in a general repair shop) I'd almost bet 100% you ruined that wheel. Driving on a flat is a big no-no. Hell, I wouldn't drive on any tire that has less than 20psi. No amount of balancing, static, dynamic, type of weights, or otherwise can fix a wheel that's out of round, bent, or has other damage.

Move the wheel you're getting the vibration from to a different corner of the car and watch the vibration move to a different spot. I hate to say it, but looks like you need a new wheel.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Having just seen something like this a couple days ago,(i work in a general repair shop) I'd almost bet 100% you ruined that wheel. Driving on a flat is a big no-no. Hell, I wouldn't drive on any tire that has less than 20psi. No amount of balancing, static, dynamic, type of weights, or otherwise can fix a wheel that's out of round, bent, or has other damage.

Move the wheel you're getting the vibration from to a different corner of the car and watch the vibration move to a different spot. I hate to say it, but looks like you need a new wheel.
If the wheel is put on a balancer, it would take about 1 second to see if it's not true. I've driven on tires with as little as 5 psi before with no problems at all (both in an emergency situation and for off-road driving). As long as the wheel didn't bear the weight of the car directly on the lip, it shouldn't have been damaged...

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
It's a balance issue like almost everyone here said because it's only doing it at certain speeds is what gave it away. Go to a diffrent shop and have them balance the tires again. If you want to test that guys theory about the wheel being bent, move the front wheels to the rear, take here out again and drive and see what happens. If the vibration in the steering wheel stops, then hes right and you will need a new wheel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah it was a balancing issue....they didn't balance it correctly. they kept doing a static balance which doesn't do anything....they never balanced it on two planes...

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
It's good to hear that you got it done correctly finally.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
yeah it was a balancing issue....they didn't balance it correctly. they kept doing a static balance which doesn't do anything....they never balanced it on two planes...
That's what I figured...glad to hear you got it fixed...:D

<<<<<<<<<<<< works at NTB during the offseason. If you have some tire questions just LMK
Can you hook a brother up with a deal on some tires? :naughty:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts