Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Learning...
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen many people use the kyb agx with the springs when lowering their cars.

Would putting in 2" drop springs on stock put too much stress on it?

Thanks

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
That's a good amount of drop and your suspension will suffer tremendously. Even 1" drop is a big difference on your suspension and ride.

·
5-Spd's FTW
1,595 Posts
save your money, and do it right the first time. dont try and cut corners, especially with your suspension.

search a bit on here, and youll find many shocks have blown because of what your considering.

·
Learning...
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I'm planning on purchasing chrs09182630491863's springs :]

EDIT* I see, the shocks may blow. But Is this after riding with them for 10 yrs? or like 6 months? honestly the springs are a good deal and If I absolutley Love it dropped two inches I will invest in the kyb agx sometime in the next 6 months.

Think that will be a problem?

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
Well I'm planning on purchasing chrs09182630491863's springs :]

EDIT* I see, the shocks may blow. But Is this after riding with them for 10 yrs? or like 6 months? honestly the springs are a good deal and If I absolutley Love it dropped two inches I will invest in the kyb agx sometime in the next 6 months.

Think that will be a problem?
Consider the cost to install the springs, then the cost to dismount, install struts, and REINSTALL springs 6 months from now. If the extra cost in labor to install is worth it to you, go for it.

But as I see it, you're wasting $300 or so to do this half ass 6 months early, so - you're paying $50/month in reality to do it incomplete.

·
Learning...
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well me and my car guy buddy pal will be doing all install/uninstalls/reinstalls for free ;]

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I'm in your boat, about to get a set from a guy on here and he tells me that he hasn't had anything but the stock camber w/e ... But i'm going to go ahead and order a real camber set, or atleast make my own, I don't want to stress my ride and wear everything out..

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
You will probably bottom out a lot but sounds like you don't want to listen so, Go for it! it's your ride. Also, if these are supposed to give you a 2 inch drop, you will most likely get a 2.5 or close to 3 inch drop because your stock suspension is already soft and probably used too..

·
Learning...
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All I wanna do is try out the drop before I go all out and WASTE my money on something I may not enjoy.

IF it wont hurt anything in the next 6 months then what's the problem with TRYING it out?

You say "half-ass", I say money carefully spent.

·
Norcal Member
683 Posts
I was in your boat before I dropped my car; I wanted to find the cheapest way to dropping my car, looking at the GR2's, stock shocks and struts, etc. But, I sucked it up and I put out the money for the AGX's. It was such a good investment, the ability to adjust the dampening rates on them are just great. The AGX'S are great for normal driving, doing some canyon driving, autox, etc. The AGX's also come with a lifetime warranty, which is a big plus.

·
QuickSLVR
672 Posts
well i "half ass" it and had it put on 70K+ miles on the stock shocks and it did not blow until a year and a half. Do you have a 4cyl??? if so it will be like you having a pro kit cause of the weight.

·
5-Spd's FTW
1,595 Posts
i say "half-ass" because thats what it is. you ask for opinions, and then shoot all of them down. your doing it the wrong way, the "half-assed" way, so dont be surprised when your shocks blow, and your tires wear funny, and you end up having problems you could have avoided by not being so stingy with a few bucks. :sam:

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
My question is, why did you post this in show and shine when it's a suspension matter??

·
Medic
2,354 Posts
Do it right the first time.. I agree in that 'half-ass'ing it is only taking the easy way. You get your drop, yes... But you also have created possible problems as mentioned.

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
All I wanna do is try out the drop before I go all out and WASTE my money on something I may not enjoy.

IF it wont hurt anything in the next 6 months then what's the problem with TRYING it out?

Dude, why ask if you already have your mind made up? :rolleyes: You asked a question, then you don't like the response. Good work.

Your stock dampers are made to carry the OEM load. When you change the ride height and spring rates, you are putting much more stress than these parts were designed for. Your dampers may last a year or a month, there is no way to know for sure. The real benefit is going to come with a new spring & DAMPER setup, and since you have to yank all that out anyway, you would be foolish not to upgrade the rest of it.

When I installed my ProKits years ago, there wasn't a front strut that was even available for our cars yet. So I kept my stock units. Yes, I too did the work myself (with friends, but you get the point), and the front end can be a real bitch. My front struts lasted about 2 months before they started getting very bouncy, nevermind that simply swapping out springs offers little handling benefit by itself. I had custom Konis made at that point (which at the time was the 3G's only option), which required us to spend another Saturday afternoon tearing shit apart. So when someone mentions "cost", don't take that to only mean "$".

If you are going to upgrade your suspension, do it right. Yes, it is half-assed because the spring and damper assembly work together as unit. You wouldn't install equal length headers and keep your stock midpipe and muffler assembly would you?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
So basically just get new shocks? In my situation I plan on riding around without new shocks for maybe a month then going to tire kingdom or something and having them put some on, that way I can have it warranty'd and when the shit hits the fan, I can hold them liable... muahhaa

·
Learning...
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wasn't even aware of a suspension section and lowered 2g's are show and shine thing.

anyway RadEclipse. My question was never "Is this half-ass?"

And you guys all seem to miss the post where I said it is a SHORT TERM thing so I can try them out lol...

w.e It's all good I got the info. I needed, I will put them on for a few months and see how I like the drop. Then If i like them, I will get some KYB AGX. can't say that's SUCH a bad idea?

thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
yes, I can say that's SUCH a bad idea. In that it's asinine. Might as well just cut your springs.

If you can't afford a $350 set of dampers, then maybe this isn't a hobby you should be investing in. If it just "has to be", then buy the springs if they are a good deal, then shove them in a corner until you can afford the dampers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts