Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my car for 4 years with a 12 inch subwoofer hooked up to the OEM radio. About a month ago I was driving and listening to the radio when all of the sudden it just shut off.

The lights still work when I have my headlights on, and it let me eject the cd that was inside the radio. I cannot put in a cd, and when I turn it on nothing happens. No sound, no display, nothing. If I hit the time button about 10 times real fast it will display the time, which was correct until I disconnected the radio.

I bought a used OEM radio off a member and hooked it up and I still have the same symptoms/problem.

Was wondering what the problem could be, since it clearly isn't the radio. I don't know if wires are fried somewhere, but they all look like they did the day I installed the subwoofer.

Any help is greatly appreciated. It sucks driving whithout a radio!!!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Have you checked to see if you're getting power to the radio, and that you have continuity to ground?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Its the R/T, so It came with the Infinity system. On 2g I asked if you had checked the factory amp under the passenger seat. That seems to be the culprit.
Would that keep a CD from loading as well, or just keep sound from being generated? I know when I tried putting an Infinity head unit in my car, before I found out you needed the stock amp to get sound, it would load CDs just fine...everything worked except I just didn't have any sound output...:ugh2:

·
Low and Slow.
1,798 Posts
Would that keep a CD from loading as well, or just keep sound from being generated? I know when I tried putting an Infinity head unit in my car, before I found out you needed the stock amp to get sound, it would load CDs just fine...everything worked except I just didn't have any sound output...:ugh2:
I believe its just to put out sound. The cd loading function is simply a power function, the sound needs to be converted and amplified to be put out through the speakers.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I believe its just to put out sound. The cd loading function is simply a power function, the sound needs to be converted and amplified to be put out through the speakers.
That's what I thought too...hopefully it's just a simple fix for him, like not getting power since there really isn't too much to that circuit...at least not on the Eclipse, I'm not sure if the wiring is the same on the Stratus though...

I have had my car for 4 years with a 12 inch subwoofer hooked up to the OEM radio. About a month ago I was driving and listening to the radio when all of the sudden it just shut off.

The lights still work when I have my headlights on, and it let me eject the cd that was inside the radio. I cannot put in a cd, and when I turn it on nothing happens. No sound, no display, nothing. If I hit the time button about 10 times real fast it will display the time, which was correct until I disconnected the radio.

I bought a used OEM radio off a member and hooked it up and I still have the same symptoms/problem.

Was wondering what the problem could be, since it clearly isn't the radio. I don't know if wires are fried somewhere, but they all look like they did the day I installed the subwoofer.

Any help is greatly appreciated. It sucks driving whithout a radio!!!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok to answer some of the questions:

I have the CD/Cassette Player in my car with the Infinity Sound System.

I'm assuming the radio is getting power because the lights to all the buttons work and the time will display if I hit the button a couple times in a row.

One question: Why would the amp going out affect anything having to do with the display on the radio, or whether or not the CD slot would work? I understand that the amp controls the sound output, but nothing on the radio is working except lights.

·
Relapsed.
1,811 Posts
Ok to answer some of the questions:

I have the CD/Cassette Player in my car with the Infinity Sound System.

I'm assuming the radio is getting power because the lights to all the buttons work and the time will display if I hit the button a couple times in a row.

One question: Why would the amp going out affect anything having to do with the display on the radio, or whether or not the CD slot would work? I understand that the amp controls the sound output, but nothing on the radio is working except lights.
Time for an upgrade :)

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I'll go along with kindey bean, check for power and ground. If I'm thinking
right there will be two power feeds, one to maintian memory and the other
to actually provide power to operate. Just because the "lights" work it doesn't men your getting power. On some vehicles the lights are seperate from the other power sources, not sure on yours, as they can be controlled by the dimmer switch.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'll go along with kindey bean, check for power and ground. If I'm thinking
right there will be two power feeds, one to maintian memory and the other
to actually provide power to operate. Just because the "lights" work it doesn't men your getting power. On some vehicles the lights are seperate from the other power sources, not sure on yours, as they can be controlled by the dimmer switch.
You're close...there are actually three power feeds to the infinity head unit! One is battery power (probably for memory, etc), one is switched power when the key is turned to the "on" position, and one is strictly for the lights...so, with your lights working, that means you're getting power on that wire, but it doesn't mean you have power from the battery or the ignition switch...:ugh2:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're close...there are actually three power feeds to the infinity head unit! One is battery power (probably for memory, etc), one is switched power when the key is turned to the "on" position, and one is strictly for the lights...so, with your lights working, that means you're getting power on that wire, but it doesn't mean you have power from the battery or the ignition switch...:ugh2:
So what wires are for what? And how am I supposed to check if they are getting power or not?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure if this can help but my 3g has a clockpod which shows if we have to enter a code or not. Maybe you have to enter the code to unlock the radio. im Not sure in the stratus comes with a clock pod
We have a clock pod, but I think the Eclipse radio has an anti-theft device that we do not. Therefore we never have to enter a code. Thanks for the input though. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
So what wires are for what? And how am I supposed to check if they are getting power or not?
Connector C-22 plugs into the head unit itself. Here are the wires in question that you need to look at. To check for power, unplug the radio and probe the pins with a volt meter...the colors listed are for the Eclipse (I'm not sure if they're the same on Stratus/Galant)

Pin 4 - powered through the taillight relay...provides power for lights (this should have power since you said the lights work...it will only show voltage with the parking or headlights on...this will be a green/white wire

Pin 10 - powered through ACC position of ignition switch...key must be turned for voltage to be present...this will be a white/black wire

Pin 11 - powered off of battery...provide voltage all the time...this will be an orange/black wire for 00-02 or red/white wire for 03+

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, sounds good. I will def be testing those out.

So, what do I do if there is a short? How do you fix that?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts