Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I'm pretty new here. I just bought my 02 Eclipse GS a week ago. Almost exactly a week ago.. lol Didn't even get to drive it home till Monday since the MVC was closed for the day already(damn saturday hours.. lol).

I bought this knowing i'd have some work to put into it. The sunroof switch does nothing.. The clock is out.. For the life of me, I can't get the rear view mirror lights to work(new bulbs and only checked fuses so far), fuel gauge light is out, shifting into 1st and reverse is crazy tough(waiting on master and slave cylinders to be shipped. Hoping that fixes thing there.) And my biggest gripe at the moment, is that I can't figure out how to get this stock radio working.

I plan to replace it with an aftermarket H/U eventually, but I want to focus on mechanical issues first. I bought this car through a used car dealer, who obviously knew nothing about the vehicle, but he did tell me that the guy before me had an aftermarket system in it already, but he took it out and threw the stock one back in.

At least he left all of the wiring. I've been doing searches all morning through Google and here and haven't quite come across what I'm looking for. All week, i've seen that the radio does have some power, but it doesn't actually turn on. The backlight comes on when the headlights are turned on, but that's about it. I figured the display might have been out, but the radio itself would work, but I called Mitsubishi and got the radio code and went through the whole hour long reset process and nothing worked.

I finally decided to look at the wiring at this point and realized there were two separate wiring connectors back there. I'm assuming that all of the wiring was separated for whatever unit that was in here previously, but I'm getting really really tired of driving an hour to and from work in silence. lol

If anyone may be able to help me figure out which of these wires is what so I can place them back into the main harness, i'd really really really appreciate it.

In the main connector, there is...
Green/White
Black/Yellow
Red/White
White/Black
Solid Pink?

Then the second has
Solid Red(Guessing this would be the main power?)
Solid Black(Guess the ground?)
Solid White
Solid Brown

Edit: ok.. now i'm really confused.. I found a few places saying that the radio, dome lights(which I don't have, but i'd assume the rear view mirror would be the same), keyless entry, and in some of the cases, the sunroof were all connected somehow and people had issues when them all at once? I may have misread on that. I'm finding it slightly funny, because... That is pretty much the exact same thing i'm unable to figure out. I see that the clock doesn't work without the factory radio, which probably why that isn't working.. but yeah..

Also, I found that the fuse box under the hood has these for what i'm assuming are the radio and the dome light. They in some yellow casing that lets me lift to disconnected the fuses from the sockets, but not actually remove them to see if they're bad. This is getting to be a frustrating trial and error. Any one experience this before?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I guess this thread can partially be ignored.. Took some pliers and a bit of force, but I got those two fuses out. One of the two was definitely burnt out. I swapped it out. Suddenly my doors actually unlock without the key being in the ignition. I test my remote and it works. I throw the key in and start it up, the clock pod comes on, the radio comes on, rear view mirror light comes on, and my sunroof miraculously works, though I have to give it a bit of a nudge to open properly. I haven't tried it yet, but i'm assuming my cruise control will work now, too. Who knows what else that fixed... seriously.. one single tiny red 10amp fuse for all of that. That's crazy.

I lost most of my day between my computer and car frustrated.. but well worth it.. lol

I'm still not quite home free. The radio turns on and asked for the code, I entered it, but I still get no actual audio. Going to try a CD shortly to see if maybe it's the antenna that isn't working, but I figured it that were the case, i'd at least get some static. Instead i'm hearing nothing, as if it's not on.

I'm glad i'm at least a good step forward on this situation.

Edit: I guess i'll need to find a real CD, it's spitting the only burned disc I had laying around. Still no audio for AM/FM. I disconnected and reconnected the antenna cables with no luck. Any ideas?

Both burned and legit discs give and E 01 error and it ejects on it's own. Still no audio for AM/FM. Maybe the unit is just done for. Oh well. I got pretty much everything else working in the process of trying to get the radio to work.

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
glad to hear you got most of it fixed.

yes, that little yellow 'carrier' thing was for when the car was in transport--as far as i know, it is for all the interior accessories. i've blown mine so many times, i've dremeled the lower catch-tabs off of it to make it easier to pull out...

as far as what you've got so far, there could be a issue with the factory amp, being that you said you don't get any sound at all..

the amp should be located under the passenger seat if it is there, that'd be a good first thing to check for.

speaking of which, in your pictures, the black round cable off to the left is the one that sends the audio signal to the amp, as well as the remote signal, so that's also something to make sure is plugged in all the way on both ends.

you really ought to get static or something out of the deck if the amp is working- so if you're not getting that, it's very possibly a amp issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah. I've plugged in everything there is to plug in. There was the larger wiring harness and the two other cables. I'm assuming one or both was for an antenna. There are no more connections on the radio itself to connect to, so unless there is something I'm not seeing, I think it was just the same wiring placed there whether there was an infinity system or not. Maybe I'm not seeing something though? There is definitely not even static and it rejected a normal CD. I'm leaning toward the unit just not being functional anymore.

How often have you had to replace that fuse? Is it something I should expect to happen regularly?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Suspended Seller
922 Posts
Yeah. I've plugged in everything there is to plug in. There was the larger wiring harness and the two other cables. I'm assuming one or both was for an antenna. There are no more connections on the radio itself to connect to, so unless there is something I'm not seeing, I think it was just the same wiring placed there whether there was an infinity system or not. Maybe I'm not seeing something though? There is definitely not even static and it rejected a normal CD. I'm leaning toward the unit just not being functional anymore.

How often have you had to replace that fuse? Is it something I should expect to happen regularly?

Like soundman said, Check under the seat(or take it out) and see if all of those wires are connected and have power going to them.

If you need anything i have my stock double din stereo and 4 speakers with the stock amp

No, i have never blown that fuse once, they probably blew it when they took out the aftermarket equipment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is definitely something under the seat. Everything seems connected. I'll still have to take a meter to it and see if it's really working. I'm just going to get an aftermarket system going anyway. Am I going to have to run new wiring out to all of the speakers or something? or will it work to just use a normal aftermarket wiring harness as usual?

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
i'd lean towards the amp being bad more then the deck-- the easiest way to verify is to turn the volume all the way up-- you should hear a slight hiss from that as well... either way, i'd prefer adding my own gear. it's easier that way, just unfortunate that it needs to be done right away..

while you can splice into the amp wiring harness so you don't need to run wire to all the speakers, i'd recommend running your own wire if you have the time and knowledge to do so-- that factory wire is very thin with larger stranded conductors, so pretty much any aftermarket 16-14ga speaker wire is going to be a better replacement, and will have some audible benefit to the sound quality.

sorry, i should have clarified. it is not something that you should expect to replace regularly unless you are always tinkering with the car(like i tend to). the fact that i am constantly blowing it is my own fault, and is no fault of the car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First picture, left black connector, is it plugged into the radio?

the other two smaller black cables in the middle are for the radio.
The two smaller black cables are connected, but the larger on on the left had nowhere to be plugged in that I saw.

I get absolutely no hiss or any sound from the radio even when trying to turn it up. Even with a bad antenna connection, it should still produce some sort of static or something. So, its somewhere between the head unit and I'm assuming what is under the seat is an amp.

I'm honestly hoping its just the head unit. Easily replaced. I'd rather not rewire everything to the speakers. Not right away, at least. I'm not entirely great with wiring. Not a lack of ability, just a lack of knowledge. I'm a quick study and have always wanted to learn. Was ways afraid I'd blow something up though. Lol

I know computers inside and out, but I'm afraid to wire up a car stereo system.. that's kinda funny, if you ask me. Lol

·
hates "smart" people
3,569 Posts
The two smaller black cables are connected, but the larger on on the left had nowhere to be plugged in that I saw.

I get absolutely no hiss or any sound from the radio even when trying to turn it up. Even with a bad antenna connection, it should still produce some sort of static or something. So, its somewhere between the head unit and I'm assuming what is under the seat is an amp.

I'm honestly hoping its just the head unit. Easily replaced. I'd rather not rewire everything to the speakers. Not right away, at least. I'm not entirely great with wiring. Not a lack of ability, just a lack of knowledge. I'm a quick study and have always wanted to learn. Was ways afraid I'd blow something up though. Lol

I know computers inside and out, but I'm afraid to wire up a car stereo system.. that's kinda funny, if you ask me. Lol

That's why you have no sound ;) That black cable is connected to the amp.

And what head unit did you have?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's why you have no sound ;) That black cable is connected to the amp.

And what head unit did you have?
Right now, I still have the stock single din AM/FM/CD unit. I figured that cable had some function, but I really don't see where it could go. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm kinda stuck in the rain from the hurricane and whatnot right now. I'm actually at work... lol and my job is like 90% on the road too.. I'm the only driver who showed up today. Haha

I'll take a picture if the head unit on my way home. Maybe I'll spot something I missed before.

·
hates "smart" people
3,569 Posts
Right now, I still have the stock single din AM/FM/CD unit. I figured that cable had some function, but I really don't see where it could go. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm kinda stuck in the rain from the hurricane and whatnot right now. I'm actually at work... lol and my job is like 90% on the road too.. I'm the only driver who showed up today. Haha

I'll take a picture if the head unit on my way home. Maybe I'll spot something I missed before.

When you say stock, do you mean it came with the car, or did you buy it off ebay?

There are multiple versions of radio for the car. If you bought it off ebay, I believe you bought the one for eclipse without amp.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you say stock, do you mean it came with the car, or did you buy it off ebay?

There are multiple versions of radio for the car. If you bought it off ebay, I believe you bought the one for eclipse without amp.
I just bought the car from a used dealer a week ago. He said the guy before me had aftermarket stuff in it and took it out when he sold it to him. The head unit in the car is what was in there when I got the car.

Here's what I've got going on back that. Maybe this just was a head unit the guy had around or something and didn't come out of this car.

·
hates "smart" people
3,569 Posts
I just bought the car from a used dealer a week ago. He said the guy before me had aftermarket stuff in it and took it out when he sold it to him. The head unit in the car is what was in there when I got the car.

Here's what I've got going on back that. Maybe this just was a head unit the guy had around or something and didn't come out of this car.

That is a headunit for a Mitsubishi, but the 3G Mitsubishi Eclipse. And it's for Mitsubishi without amplifiers.

You need a different one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is a headunit for a Mitsubishi, but the 3G Mitsubishi Eclipse. And it's for Mitsubishi without amplifiers.

You need a different one.
It is a 3G Eclipse. But yeah, If there is no spot for that cable, then this was likely pulled from another car that didn't have the amp. No big deal. I'll just have to deal with silence till I can get something else. Its not the worst issue I've got going on with this car. Heh getting all of the other electric options working with this car was worth the two days of searching and narrowing down to that fuse. I'd have been more upset to put in another system and still not have figured that out and the new system doing the same thing. Lol

Is there a wiring harness that will allow me to use this amp with an aftermarket system or am I going to have no choice but to rewire everything?

·
hates "smart" people
3,569 Posts
It is a 3G Eclipse. But yeah, If there is no spot for that cable, then this was likely pulled from another car that didn't have the amp. No big deal. I'll just have to deal with silence till I can get something else. Its not the worst issue I've got going on with this car. Heh getting all of the other electric options working with this car was worth the two days of searching and narrowing down to that fuse. I'd have been more upset to put in another system and still not have figured that out and the new system doing the same thing. Lol

Is there a wiring harness that will allow me to use this amp with an aftermarket system or am I going to have no choice but to rewire everything?

Aftermarket head unit, usu Metra 70-7003:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome.. after spending the last week looking for a replacement head unit I liked.. I only found two. One was a Dual and the other was their slightly "better" Axxera XDMA7800. They both has color changing faces and Bluetooth, but the Dual only had a 2 band EQ, while the Axxera had a 3 band.. I'm reading too many negative reviews about them jumping up to full volume randomly with no user input and just dying out a month or so in.. I've owned two Dual units in the past. Had both for years and they're still alive and kicking.

I'm thinking... I've been seeing more and more people use tablets instead. I've got a nexus 7 on order already. I my see if I could find a way to get that going in here instead. I know way more about computers than I do about cars though.(and no. I'm not the kid that says they can fix your computer and actually ends up breaking it.. lol I actually know what I'm doing. Just throwing that out there in case anyone needs help with something. Its the least I can do to help the people helping me with stuff I don't know.)

If I were to get that wiring kit, would there be a way for me to maybe get a half din EQ or something, connect the tablet to the EQ and then wire that out to the amp? I've been reading that may cause some excessive noise. Can anyone shed some light on a decent way to do this? Preferably on somewhat of a budget. Lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know bumping posts in frowned upon, but i'm one of the people sitting at home with no power this week and i'd rather be working on this than sitting around in the cold... Lol

I got my Nexus 7 in the mail yesterday. It looks like it would be a nice and simple bit. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this thing running through the amp without going out and buying a full head unit that I likely wouldn't even use?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
You want to replace the OEM HU with the Nexus? If so, that's a good question. I would assume you would need a low level (speaker wire) line converter. Maybe a headphone jack to line converter (headphone jack to dual RCA cable and plug RCAs into a line converter? But then I think you would have to hack into the DIN cable to splice into the amp inputs... I forgot which wires are used for inputs on the OEM amp but others may have an easier method anyway. Regardless, you will likely lose fader, etc no matter what if your Nexus is only putting out 2 channel stereo.

If just playing the nexus through the HU then an FM modulator would definitely work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You want to replace the OEM HU with the Nexus? If so, that's a good question. I would assume you would need a low level (speaker wire) line converter. Maybe a headphone jack to line converter (headphone jack to dual RCA cable and plug RCAs into a line converter? But then I think you would have to hack into the DIN cable to splice into the amp inputs... I forgot which wires are used for inputs on the OEM amp but others may have an easier method anyway. Regardless, you will likely lose fader, etc no matter what if your Nexus is only putting out 2 channel stereo.

If just playing the nexus through the HU then an FM modulator would definitely work.
The guy I bought the car from had aftermarket stuff in here and put the non-infinity head unit back in. So, I technically have nothing but a second back lit clock in my dash since I get no sound. I would assume that I could maybe just get the metra wiring harness mentioned a few posts up and just use the conversion plug given for the amp wire to RCA and I already have an RCA to 1/8" adaptor laying around.

Also, there are software EQ and faders for android, so I wouldn't really be losing any tweak factor, at least. That's why I decided on trying it. I guess, i'll just have to get the wiring harness and give it a try. If anyone knows of a proper way to go about this, stop me before I do something stupid. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 49 Posts