Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They don't mix without a fix. Period. Here is why.

This is the carbon footprint of an intake manifold flanged for the 6g74 throttle body that was run with a stock throttle body.

It was pissing air at pressures so low I could not read them on my digital pressure gauge. It fizzled and spat at the mere idea of holding pressure and would therefore perform similarly under vacuum.

The other problem:

There are supposed to be sealed by the gasket as shown below:

With those ports left open the EGR becomes unusable. It will malfunction and cause a check engine code. I have remedied this on a number of cars now, and if you attempt this you WILL have a problem even if you're a fucktard named Matt Schofield.

The remedies are simple. Either use a 6g74 throttle body if you don't mind modifying the WW tray or running without cruise control. Otherwise cut the flange off your stock manifold (you obviously don't need it anymore so why not) and sand the cut face flat and use the flange as a spacer. I usually recommend the bigger throttle body because the 60mm is puny but nonetheless there is a way to do it mostly right if the stock throttle body is a must.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You deleted the EGR, removing the ill effects of having it pegged open.

But what you fail to realize is that running 13+ at WOT was a result of a vac leak not your silly manifold upgrade. THIS IS A MAF BASED SETUP. IF IT PULLS MORE AIR IT ADDS MORE FUEL. And adding an xg manifold on a 100% STOCK 3 liter is not going to toss the tune unless you managed to commit an error during the install somehow. And... well... you did.

I made this thread so people some success from their endeavors.

·
BHM - Owner
537 Posts
1.) Running Stock 03 ROM file, EGR still enabled only operating solenoid and vented to atmosphere...no CEL.

Runing 02 Big Maps ROM file (which btw you sent me and had "all sorts of issues with" yet I have had none...odd. EGR enabled, same as above...no CEL

2.) 13:1 AFR at WOT?
Not happening for me, and in fact I am running about 12.8 AFR, as dictated by my tune. Odd how If I leave stock ROM file in the car, my AFR at WOT is pegged at 10:1. I flash a tuned tile to the car and my AFR magically stays between 12.7-12.8 at WOT.

I don't know about YOUR tuning, but I let my documentation speak for itself
Stock ROM file;

Tuned ROM file (if you want to start blwoing smoke about output numbers and so forth, feel free...I won't acknowlede any of that as for all intents and purposes this is used to show you exactly how the AFR line looks with my own tuning);

3.) Like any manifold swap on the GT model and not tuning for it will affect fueling, or did you forget to do that step during your intake manifold swaps? Diamante? XG? GTS? 75?

I ask ANYBODY here to go throw a tuned GT Intake manifold ROM into their car with any of the above manifolds, then run a tuned ROM for the manifold and see what your dyno sheet and AFR tells you.

Doing all of this fancy hand porting and polishing work yourself Justin one would assume you had a basic understanding on how plenum volume will change things, afterall you said it best here;
THIS IS A MAF BASED SETUP. IF IT PULLS MORE AIR IT ADDS MORE FUEL
Go through all those datalog files you have from all of these cars you have done manifold swaps on or tuned. Look at your peak airflow hz made with the GT manifold, then compare to the 75, XG, GTS, and Diamante...obviously reading EvoScan data numbers should be easy for anybody else to do this as well.

Here's more to clarify my point

Notice how peak airflow even moved up earlier in the RPM range with the XG manifold.

4.) Considering you "know so much" about all of this. Your photos make great tools here too so I am going to use this one;

If you can easily, and clearly draw a conclusion that this gasket blocks off all the holes...

XG manifold w/74 TB use 74 TB gasket...

XG manifold w/72 TB use a 72 TB gasket...
Brake clean and a smoke machine did wonders when I double checked my installation of this back in November of 2012...and as we all know Justin aka "Silvertune" in his almighty wisdom couldnt figure out the above configuration on what was that again;
[quoute]
on a number of cars now
[/quote]

And goes on to speak of this;
running 13+ at WOT was a result of a vac leak not your silly manifold upgrade
Yet see number #2 above with documentation of stock ROM and tuned ROM for AFR information both of which have the XG manifold in place with the above "mysterious throttle body and gasket" configuration.

With all of that, perhaps somebody needs to re-evaluate his tuning as it would appear Justin is the only one here claiming to have run into the Vac leak issue and 13:1 AFR at WOT...You spout off before getting everything figured out yourself,and without asking respectively for information. I used your own photo to prove just one of the points you clearly coulnd't wrap your mind around and backed the rest with my own documentation.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I am not even going to read all this. But I understand that it can be a learning process for other people and it is nice that you posted this information for the V6 guys but it was definitely fucked up for you to throw someone under the bus like that and include their name in the post. The post itself doesn't even look like a learning process as you say but more of an angry message towards matt because of whatever mistake he made and you are shouting it to the world about it. Jesus justin, c'mon man.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts