Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I have a 2001 Eclipse GS 5-Speed. I'm having this one problem where the clutch is probably a bit "weaker" (doesn't require as much effort to press the pedal to the floor) and has about an inch or two of completely loose travel time (needing no pressure) before actually hitting some resistance when pressing the pedal to the floor. I hope that makes sense, but either way, that's not my main problem.

My main problem is that when letting the clutch up to move from a stand-still, the clutch will just loose all pressure and you'll have to pump it a few times to get the pressure back. It's not just from a stand-still, if you're cruising and you press the clutch in and slowly release it, you'll feel the point where it just looses all pressure which is a few inches off of the floor. The clutch and pressure plate where both replaced around 5k miles ago and because the clutch still didn't feel right, I had the master and slave cylinders replaced around the same time so I don't believe it's any of them. I just replaced the rubber clutch line thinking that it may have collapsed and it did help a bit but not much. I'm out of ideas since I've bled the thing multiple times just to get the same effect. Does anyone else have any ideas? It'd be much appreciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just pumped the pedal 10 times then had my assistant hold the pedal down while I opened the valve. Worked fine for me. One thing to consider, when I replaced my slave cylinder, it came with a push rod that was much too short. I had to take the slave cylinder back off and put the longer stock rod in. Something to consider that whomever replaced your slave cylinder may not have realized this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just realized that if you hold the pedal down to the floor for about 5-10 seconds, the clutch loses all of the pressure. While the system isn't leaking any fluid (that I've noticed), it sounds like the master or slave cylinder to me. And no, I replaced the last master and slave with my dad and I don't believe we changed the push rod back to the stock. Is there anything I can do?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just realized that if you hold the pedal down to the floor for about 5-10 seconds, the clutch loses all of the pressure. While the system isn't leaking any fluid (that I've noticed), it sounds like the master or slave cylinder to me. And no, I replaced the last master and slave with my dad and I don't believe we changed the push rod back to the stock. Is there anything I can do?
Put in a new master and slave cyclinder to rule out the promblem after bleeding. Just because the part is new does not mean it works correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts