Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I turn on the heat or the a/c I will get a strange noise that I cannot figure out for the life of me. It only happens clutch out in neutral, I cannot hear it when I'm driving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyT7zxbM-WY
At the end of the video I am pushing the clutch in to make the sound go away.
2003 GTS, with 62,000 miles on it. Have not done any of the 60k service yet.
Ideas?

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,997 Posts
Yep. That's your throwout bearing. Unfortunately the ones in the 3Gs have a history of being noisy. Nothing you can do about it and it causes no harm.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,997 Posts
Now that I've really listen to the video, you may want to get that checked out. The throwout bearing is very noisy on this car, but I thought I was hearing something else that might need servicing. The flapping sound doesn't sound normal to me.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. That's your throwout bearing. Unfortunately the ones in the 3Gs have a history of being noisy. Nothing you can do about it and it causes no harm.
Cheap or expensive fix? Thankfully it's not something in dire need of repair, although it seems to be getting worse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that I've really listen to the video, you may want to get that checked out. The throwout bearing is very noisy on this car, but I thought I was hearing something else that might need servicing. The flapping sound doesn't sound normal to me.....
I'll have them look at it when I take it in for the timing belt. Thanks!

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,997 Posts
Well, unfortunately there's no real 'looking at it' because you'd have to pull the trans. The sound could also be indicative that you might need a clutch change soon. It's so hard to tell from the audio of a cell phone. I know what it's supposed to sound like live.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Greetings,

can you ride the car?
if so does the noise continues when running the car?

lets us know... i may have an idea

·
Low and Slow.
1,734 Posts
The throw out bearing should only be spinning when the clutch pedal is pushed in, thats when its doing its job, and it seems as if the noise is going away when its pushed in.

Check out my thread Here and watch the videos and compare. I had a similar issue. Throw out bearing was fine, it was the input shaft bearing inside the transmission. Pressing in the clutch puts load on the throw out bearing, and lets the input shaft stop spinning, hence your noise going away.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree with Pearl01strat
That was what i was thinking... a 2 weeks ago on a truck we have had the same problem..
we change it and its have been working perfect since then.
Anyways , when you get the tray out you will know for sure.
Good luck

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
The throw out bearing should only be spinning when the clutch pedal is pushed in, thats when its doing its job, and it seems as if the noise is going away when its pushed in.

Check out my thread Here and watch the videos and compare. I had a similar issue. Throw out bearing was fine, it was the input shaft bearing inside the transmission. Pressing in the clutch puts load on the throw out bearing, and lets the input shaft stop spinning, hence your noise going away.
Actually no... the throw out bearing is snapped into the lock collar on the pressure plate and it spins 100% of the time. They are notorious for making noise when the clutch does not have them loaded because the snap collar allows them to bounce around a bit and cause the rattle.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the transmission off. That's a very strange noise and while it's obvious TOB related it isn't just plain old rattle. I know all too well what that sounds like.

·
Low and Slow.
1,734 Posts
Actually no... the throw out bearing is snapped into the lock collar on the pressure plate and it spins 100% of the time. They are notorious for making noise when the clutch does not have them loaded because the snap collar allows them to bounce around a bit and cause the rattle.
I suppose youre right, since if there was no play in the clutch pedal, that the TOB would have to be running on the pressure plate. I dont think it would resonate that loud though. The bearing isnt dense enough to make other parts vibrate if it were to go bad. It would make a noise, but wouldnt be very loud I wouldnt think.

I work with electric motors and some pretty heavy duty bearings, where they are connected to a solid endbell and a rotor. You can definitely hear when they go bad since one half of the bearing is enclosed on the OD, and is tight on the ID and it resonates throughout the whole motor. The TOB is more 'free floating' and isnt solid on anything.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
I suppose youre right, since if there was no play in the clutch pedal, that the TOB would have to be running on the pressure plate. I dont think it would resonate that loud though. The bearing isnt dense enough to make other parts vibrate if it were to go bad. It would make a noise, but wouldnt be very loud I wouldnt think.

I work with electric motors and some pretty heavy duty bearings, where they are connected to a solid endbell and a rotor. You can definitely hear when they go bad since one half of the bearing is enclosed on the OD, and is tight on the ID and it resonates throughout the whole motor. The TOB is more 'free floating' and isnt solid on anything.
I have a similar pull-type pressure plate clutch bearing on my car and sometimes hear the bearing rattle. When it rattles it's usually not very loud, most people wouldn't notice it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The noise goes away when I'm driving. I only hear the noise when I'm stopped and in neutral with my foot off the clutch pedal, usually after the car is completely warmed up after a bit of driving. If I rev the engine in neutral the noise increases in speed of knocking until you cannot hear it anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I changed the Clutch and throwout bearing a couple months back and haven't heard the noise since! Apologies to anyone for the late update.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello sir. I have this same problem. At idle in neutral, it is noisy until I push in the clutch. At speed it goes away as well. So replacing the clutch and throw out bearing did away with the problem?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts