Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Would it be a good idea to try and mount a M90 S/C?

• Hell yeah, if we could get it to work properly.

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • Nah, we would rather pay $4k for Ripp's or a custom Turbo kit

Votes: 6 17.1%

Stratus R/T w/Roots Type/Twin Screw Supercharger

10579 Views 31 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  6G72Duster
Ok edit from, previous post. To make this a lot quicker.

3.0L 6G72.
Custom lower Open manifold - Supercharger mount
Grand Prix GTP Eaton M90 Supercharger. (Possably a Cobra Eaton)

Basicaly thats my idea. But why I do not know is what kind of lubracation/cooling and ect to fabricate, as well as the hood clearance.

So if anyone has a link to an artical on supercharger info please hit me up as the only info I can find is from KENNY BELL and I believe those are self contained units like the Prochagers,.. however I could be wrong.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Just stop that idea right meow.

You have a lot of work and custom fabbing ahead of you if you pursue that.
See less See more
Just stop that idea right meow.

LOL good old super troopers... ok its in the trash can. Just a thought :mecry2:

Edit: If i had the extra money I think I would give it a shot. I think I will check it out and see if its possable.
ANything can be done with money.

But its not going to be feasible in the long run and probably cost you way more then a custom turbo or RIPP kit.

Just getting the belts to line up and making room under the hood to do that would be a major PITA. Its just not worth it.
LOL good old super troopers... ok its in the trash can. Just a thought :mecry2:

Edit: If i had the extra money I think I would give it a shot. I think I will check it out and see if its possable.
Its not that, its the customization your trying to attempt to do to the supercharger to make it fit. If you really would want to do something, just get the RIPP drive shaft and mounts then get your own centrifugal type supercharger that would mount up to the shaft. From then on you could piece the other little pieces together such as the injectors, piping, etc.
I've always loved the ROOTS Sound tho... It it were possable I would rather go w/roots. :squint:
:wavey:
Do something new, now I need your vote
VOTE HERE
Reactions: 1
:lol: @ midnight "vote whoring"

Alpine Developments was interested, for a time, in getting their Magnuson MP62 Roots Type blower to work for our application. Here's the thread, if you'd like to see where that went and the discussion(s) that surrounded that proposal.
i dont think its a bad idea. i have the GT motor and am planning on adding an M90 supercharger to my motor this summer. if you do a custom UIM and mount the S/C over the rear head, you should be able to get away with either no additional pulley or one by the pass. side motor mount. With the M90 i have (off a ford 3.8L Super Coupe) i was also going to run a FMIC to keep intake temps down. i wont have as many clearance issues as you might due to the different car, but i know Rezlo had a S/Ced 3.0 sirrus or something and it was pretty sick.

a little old and finicky but heres the page and pics
rezlo's M90 page
Hmm,.. thanks, I was looking for something along those lines all last night. But I guess I was just in putting the wrong keys in. Anyways I was planning on mounting it on top of the lower manifold..... This gives me some ideas.... Thanks!
...i know Rezlo had a S/Ced 3.0 sirrus or something and it was pretty sick.
Just in case anyone needs to search for info on that it should be "Chrysler Cirrus". Atleast I assume that is what you are talking about. I am using the lower intake manifold from one of those. Then again, you may be referring to a different car as the Cirrus only comes with a 2.4L or 2.5L, as far as I am aware. :dunno:
Just in case anyone needs to search for info on that it should be "Chrysler Cirrus". Atleast I assume that is what you are talking about. I am using the lower intake manifold from one of those. Then again, you may be referring to a different car as the Cirrus only comes with a 2.4L or 2.5L, as far as I am aware. :dunno:
He has the "Chrysler Cirrus". Looks like he replaced his 2.5L with the 3L from a 3g:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040116113337/rezlo.com/Pages/V6+motor+build.htm
Ok guys, Upon further thought and consideration. I found out that it IS very possable to mount a M90 to our engines (Sitting just like the cobra), A special plentum is needed.

Which I have done some drawings and figures. and i am going to have to wait until I get the manifold for the 3.5L motor finished and the engine installed before I can start on the 3.0L. But if I had a spare lower manifold and a roots blower then things could be sped up... I want to see the size differentce and variation of the Cobra blower vs the GTP Blower... With the way the KB Comes out... one could actualy create a TRUE Ram air..... Think of a SS hood with a cowl... or better yet a SN95 Cobra R Hood with an SVO Scoope. Of course I am unsure how efficient the manifold will be. I mean there should be a way to use a Pre cooler. But I want to learn how the Cobras are setup first.

I drew a picture using paint so its not the best drawing... but basicaly it utilizes something very similar to the "Open House" Manifold that has netted Kenne Bell very good results with their Twin Screw Kits. Adding Velocity Stacks to the mix along with very good sized ports. Instead of cast,.. it will be made out of 1/2" thick aluminum,... Given the shape i'd probaly name it the "Boost Box"

I have a friend in the fabrication bussiness who can do Sheet metal intake manifolds and custom tubular headers... so I will ask him if he may be up to the challange.... Im not going to put this deal out on the market until everything is working properly and reliability issues, dyno numbers and track times are available... Im not going to put a price on it either. So please dont ask... Also the reason I say this is because there is a high chance of project failure as the others were... So we will see...

I know this looks kinda odd but ill try and explain.... This is the back side picturing usage of an M90 from the GTP and were the throttle body should mount to.... As you can see it bows up in the middle for three reasons...

1.) Seperate the Airflow in half
2.) Increase the speed of the airflow by "Sling shotting it twards the velocity stacks.
3.) To make clearance for the water pipe.

Anyways as the air comes out of the bottom of the blower it SHOULD hit the divider and Slingshot to either side creating a votex effect. Velocity stacks will help the funneling of the air enter the ports on the cylindar head.

This design would allow mounting of a roots/twin screw (if the mustang SC will fit) on top of the engine in a normal fashion..

anyways thats my idea. and i have no idea when im going to be able to start on it.
See less See more
can't do it to my knowledge. motor mount is in the way of the belt chief. only way would to somehow run a belt off of the timing belt to clear everything.
can't do it to my knowledge. motor mount is in the way of the belt chief. only way would to somehow run a belt off of the timing belt to clear everything.
Yeah I Know the motor mount it in the way. There are ways to reroute belts/add pullys..

Idk I may just scrap the project and try to go with a Big Single Turbo...
thats why i was going to mount mine over the rear head, I/C it and make a custom Upper intake manifold. less complex fabrication and easier belt routing. it can be done and for not that much $$$ IMHO.
UPDATE!!! My friend has brought REAL TIME Hope to my project... This is one of his RANDOM kits that he just out of the blue fabbed up. Costed him less than $1,000.00 to do it all. Its still running good 2 years and 50k miles later. They are Self contained lubrication. And he said he would help me with the project :woot:

I think mounting over the rear head... And Fabbing up intercooler piping to run a FMIC would be great. FTMFW Hands Down!!! Also a Custom aluminum intake manifold w/optional nitrous bungs on the runners would be FTMFW.

If I do go ahead with this kit im going to try and use the Eaton M112 From the cobra if it will work.
See less See more
i think i recognize that kit...is it in a daytona? i know there was a guy over on Turbododge.com with an M90 supercharged daytona. thats where i was taking some idas from...

as for the S/C, how much boost do you want to run? AFAIK, a roots is good up to about 13psi and the M90 supposedly handles motors up to 5L. not sure about the M112. For the PSI level, ive read (hearsay ATM) that for above 13psi, a lysholm/whipple is better

ok, must be a diff. car. heres the one i know about: (yeah its a 12v 6g72 but the principles are the same)
M90 buildup
M90 vid
Nah, thats a mini van. hes running 8psi. Sure suprises the mostly stock v8 mustangs and SRT4s in the area.

I was only wanting no more then 10psi, probaly 8 on the 6G74 engine if i go that route. If I just put pistons in the 6G74 I would try to run 12psi. The Cobra Eaton has the inlet comming out the side instead of the back. Which could be cured with a U bend.

Im going to see what I can do about fabbing up some brackets. I would like to use the M112 simply because I could upgrade to a whipple 2.3L later on that stroked 74..... would be like having a LS2 6.0L :woot: LOL
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.