Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Rings are bad after installing the turbo, the pistons are fine it's just the rings, I looked at the Tearstone pistons and the rings are in the exact same spot, so are there upgradable rings I can buy such as forged or something that can handle boost? thanks, hope to be boostin again soon

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Your rings are shot from being improperly tuned not from being weak.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was properly tuned on the Dyno, don't assume, I didn't ask why my rings blew, I asked if there are stronger ones that will hold boost better or if I can have some custom forged

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Wow great come back. See what you fail to realize is that even the rings that Tearstone and I use in our short blocks aren't necessarily superior to the stock OEM rings. The purpose of a ring is to seal the piston in the cylinder bore. They expand and contract depending on temperature and cylinder pressure. Yes, when you boost any engine there are greater cylinder pressures. This however does not directly lead to any failure.

TUNING HOWEVER DOES. The weak link in the 4G64 has been proven over and over again to be the rods. The stock pistons and rings are actually pretty decent. Forged materials can take a bit more abuse than the cast counterparts but that doesn't necessarily make them better.

What pray tell may I ask that you used to tune your car? Your choice of tuning equipment directly correlates to the success of your FI endeavor on this platform. If you are using an AFC, any kind of mention of a proper tune is moot. It has been proven over and over again that direct manipulation of the MAF input into the ECU is absolutely the worst way to try and tune these vehicles.

So yes, you might have thought you were properly tuned on a dyno but most likely you were not. What kind of monitoring and data logging capabilities do you have? How long ago were you tuned and how long have you been running your car? One of the biggest questions is "WHO TUNED YOUR CAR?" Believe it or not, it actually makes a huge difference as some people really shouldn't be tuning cars.

Now I'm going to get off my soap box. Yes you can buy federal mogul or various other brands of rings. No they are not some magical part that will allow you to make your motor indestructible. No they probably won't even allow you to run more boost. And I guarantee that if you keep the same tune you have on your car, you will eventually destroy those rings too.

Again... Boost doesn't kill piston rings, TUNING DOES!

·
OMFG
6,632 Posts
it was properly tuned on the Dyno, don't assume, I didn't ask why my rings blew, I asked if there are stronger ones that will hold boost better or if I can have some custom forged
So what exactly happend to your rings?
Describe; "my rings blew", if you would....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow great come back. See what you fail to realize is that even the rings that Tearstone and I use in our short blocks aren't necessarily superior to the stock OEM rings. The purpose of a ring is to seal the piston in the cylinder bore. They expand and contract depending on temperature and cylinder pressure. Yes, when you boost any engine there are greater cylinder pressures. This however does not directly lead to any failure.

TUNING HOWEVER DOES. The weak link in the 4G64 has been proven over and over again to be the rods. The stock pistons and rings are actually pretty decent. Forged materials can take a bit more abuse than the cast counterparts but that doesn't necessarily make them better.

What pray tell may I ask that you used to tune your car? Your choice of tuning equipment directly correlates to the success of your FI endeavor on this platform. If you are using an AFC, any kind of mention of a proper tune is moot. It has been proven over and over again that direct manipulation of the MAF input into the ECU is absolutely the worst way to try and tune these vehicles.

So yes, you might have thought you were properly tuned on a dyno but most likely you were not. What kind of monitoring and data logging capabilities do you have? How long ago were you tuned and how long have you been running your car? One of the biggest questions is "WHO TUNED YOUR CAR?" Believe it or not, it actually makes a huge difference as some people really shouldn't be tuning cars.

Now I'm going to get off my soap box. Yes you can buy federal mogul or various other brands of rings. No they are not some magical part that will allow you to make your motor indestructible. No they probably won't even allow you to run more boost. And I guarantee that if you keep the same tune you have on your car, you will eventually destroy those rings too.

Again... Boost doesn't kill piston rings, TUNING DOES!
slowmotion motorsports tuned it on the DynoPak using ECUFlash, the tuner, Corey, has superior knowledge of tuning using ecuflash and had no problems whatsoever getting it to run right, now if we could please accept that the problem is not tuning and that I am burning oil that would be great.

I have turbocharged previous DSM 4G63's and I "blew" the rings in one when the boost spiked to 18psi, I burnt massive amounts of oil, I changed the rings and the rings only and the engine ran fine, then it was involved in a serious car accident later that week. What I want to know is if I replace the rings, as appears to be the problem to me and my knowledge of the Eclipse/Talon/Lasers, with a higher grade material, will the rings leak oil into the combustion chamber after sustaining boost.

I see no Difference Between the Forged Piston and the Stock pisons as far as the rings go, they are in the exact same location, the exact same size, and I am trying to find rings with a higher grade material that will no leak oil under boost.

·
Lift and Separate
2,259 Posts
What makes you so positive that your rings are bad? Did you do a compression test? You could be burning oil due to an oil leak or bad turbo bearing seals. Have you ever overboosted or ran lean? Or detonated? Your car seemed to be running fine, so as long as you weren't out boosting before you took it to the tuning shop, I wouldn't think your rings would present a problem this soon. How many miles have you put on the motor since the turbo install?

·
OMFG
6,632 Posts
slowmotion motorsports tuned it on the DynoPak using ECUFlash, the tuner, Corey, has superior knowledge of tuning using ecuflash and had no problems whatsoever getting it to run right, now if we could please accept that the problem is not tuning and that I am burning oil that would be great.

I have turbocharged previous DSM 4G63's and I "blew" the rings in one when the boost spiked to 18psi, I burnt massive amounts of oil, I changed the rings and the rings only and the engine ran fine, then it was involved in a serious car accident later that week. What I want to know is if I replace the rings, as appears to be the problem to me and my knowledge of the Eclipse/Talon/Lasers, with a higher grade material, will the rings leak oil into the combustion chamber after sustaining boost.

I see no Difference Between the Forged Piston and the Stock pisons as far as the rings go, they are in the exact same location, the exact same size, and I am trying to find rings with a higher grade material that will no leak oil under boost.
Maybe they gave you the highly confidential and specialized 3Gay Slowmotion T00n in which Phase 1 consists of blowing your engine so that hte only motion the car sees is on the back of a tow truck........ :hspin:
Just an idea....

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Maybe they gave you the highly confidential and specialized 3Gay Slowmotion T00n in which Phase 1 consists of blowing your engine so that hte only motion the car sees is on the back of a tow truck........ :hspin:
Just an idea....
For once we actually agree on something!

:fawk:

You do realize that w/o the EVO ROM your stock ECU even w/ a reflash cannot understand boost? If they just tuned your stock ECU and didn't use a modified EVO ROM... OMG LOL Yeah... You got more than piston ring problems there buddy! heh

·
I hate stance
10,295 Posts
A dyno tune is far from perfect. Aftermarket pistons often throw a bit of smoke when you first throw them in. I'd be willing to bet that you have a bad turbo seal before I would say that you are burning rings up. Most people only get aftermarket rings because they swap to a new piston which the OEM rings don't fit.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
you mentioned earlier in you turbo thread jwahl that your turbo was bad. (post 159-166) why not replace the turbo 1st before doin the rings You never addressed if thats compressor surge which it really sounded like. :scratch:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts