Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey I have been a mechanic 12 years and have easy 30k in tools. Nothing wrong with the a BFH and a wood block for doing strut tower repairs. I might get fancy sometimes and hit two hammers together or even use a brass drift although hitting to hammers together is dangerous and could possibly open a worm hole/time travel port hole.

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Hard for me to know why people give bad advice, but I suppose it is just a societal thing whereby people are driven to throw in there two cents even though that’s actually all it’s really worth.
The way you described would do nothing but bend the studs back in place so he could get the strut brace back on and would not fix the real problem. The whole reason that those studs are all bent outward in the first place it that the wheel took a big enough hit that it bent the strut mount and probably the strut tower into a dome shape.

The correct way to fix it would be to removed the strut from the car, replace the strut mount, which would come with new studs btw, and reshape or flatten out the strut tower with a hammer and a block of wood. The strut tower with the strut removed was the only part of the car I was refering to hitting with a hammer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.