Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm planning on making my sub enclosure in my school's tech class. today i found a huge cardboard box in my attic so i began to construct a full scale model of it...i didn't think it'd be so huge. lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's 3/4 inch wood. it's wood that is made for speaker boxes. i forget what it's called. lol. i might be adjusting the box so it doesn't come out as far.. cuz i dont think i need a box that big for 2 10's lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's a nice box design. I drew one very similar to it for 3 12 inch solobarics. I made a frame out of 1/4 inch (scrap) wood and it fit very good, but then I had some medical bills come up(fucking insurance) so I couldnt make it, but hopefully at tax time I will be able to

and its called MDF board--a VERY good way to make it air tight is to use liquid nails where you put two boards together, and then for like 4 dollars at walmart get rubberized undercoating and spray inside your box.

·
Registered
20 Posts
looks some what familiar

not trying to thread jack but, i am in the process of building this one

done with cardboard and in with MDF

the mitsu logo will be made of polished aluminum

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
Great work so far!!

Are you making the logo or do you need that made for you? If you need help with it, I have the facility to fabricate that.

Oh, BTW - I did a logo as well in my setup. I just pulled the same logo size of the rear decklid. If you look closely in the my signature, you can see it in the center. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
thanks, my dad is a tool and die, CNC operator so we should be all set, thanks though

and i checked out your set up on the .org and it is pretty damn amazing

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
What is the mounting depth of your sub mrbomb? Have you put them in there to be sure you got a couple inches between the sub and inside wall? It just looks like there isn't much room from some of the angles the pictures were taken at.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have yet to put in the ports which will take away some of the volume and cause the need for the extra volume

as for separating the subs, you could but not necessary

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
i have yet to put in the ports which will take away some of the volume and cause the need for the extra volume

as for separating the subs, you could but not necessary
If by chance one of the subs blows in a shared chamber enclosure, then the other is very likely to blow as well because of the extra airspace it now has to use. That's why most people just put a divider in the center with a port in each chamber.

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
If by chance one of the subs blows in a shared chamber enclosure, then the other is very likely to blow as well because of the extra airspace it now has to use. That's why most people just put a divider in the center with a port in each chamber.
:agreed:

·
Dread Pirate Roberts
377 Posts
i'm planning on making my sub enclosure in my school's tech class. today i found a huge cardboard box in my attic so i began to construct a full scale model of it...i didn't think it'd be so huge. lol

I made one that looks exactly like the one you have planned (and yes, I mocked it up in cardboard first).

Time permitting, I will grab a pic later this evening and show you how it looks in the trunk.

I did put a divider in the middle for the reasons listed above. If one sub blows out, the other is still safe. With no divider, the volume of air being pushed by one sub is too great and it waffles around and blows as well. Each side of the enclosure is 1 cubic foot of air.

I angled the face of the box (the section where the subs are mounted) back at the top ever so slightly. This allows 1) the sound waves to bounce at a better angle into the cabin of the car, 2) the internal sound waves to reflect off the back of the box at an angle and reduce the cancellation effect.

To get the required amount of air in the box I had to build the part in the back that hangs over the trunk lip, and had to extend the bottom of the box about 1.5" beyond the wheel well toward the back.

There were many angles to cut which made the build rather difficult. But, once the box was sealed, sanded and painted it looked great. I didn't bother attempting to carpet the box...way to many angles for my abilities.

If you ever plan on having a rear strut bar, keep that in mind and make sure the top of the box is lower than the lowest point of the bar.

The box houses 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 subs powered by a Kenwood KAC-9102D amp. It. Hits. Hard. And very deep. The subs are crossed over at 80 Hz and cut at 20Hz.

You will notice that everything rattles, especially the headliner up near the dome light. You will also get rattling from the rear plastic panels on each side of the back seat, and the license plate. :)

·
Dread Pirate Roberts
377 Posts
It's dirty, scuffed and worn, but still works. It will give you and idea of what you are going to end up with. The last picture shows the box pulled out a bit.
Good luck with your build!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ill have to take some pics of the box. im building it in tech ed class at school. i got everything screwed together cept the front piece. still gotta seal the inside and shit. just gunna put two 10" sony xplods and put the amp in between them. that last post looks almost identical to what mine will look like..which is a bummer cuz i thought mine would be different. lol. but it's good cuz it looks sweet as hell...as with everyone elses.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts