Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup everyone, i've got a few questions.

I currently am very pleased with my Subwoofer setup, but I'm looking to atleast go towards competitions as I have extra money in my pocket, and a lacking system that IMO wouldn't be able to compete in actual competitions, atleast not yet.

My first upgrade will probably be my amp, I have an "1800w" Power Acoustik 2 channel amplifier. It's great, I can run my subs at 4ohms and they thump generally very well, I bought this amp from a local place here in town and I still have a pending 60-day warranty that will allow me to upgrade my AMP to a "JBL 1000.1" amp for the cost difference, and I am going to get that eventually, just securing enough fundage.

Now, for the subwoofers, I'm running 2x "MTX Roadthunder 5500's.. They are 'rated' at 1800w max between the two, so 900w a peice, so roughly 425RMS, which is decent, it's also in the MTX ported "loudest box on the block" setup.

My perdicament is that these just aren't loud enouguh, i'd guestimate maybe like 138-142db or so if I were to measure from the front windshield, but I doubt even that. Now my question is basically what would any of you recommend for just SPL, i'm NOT looking for sound quality, i'm done with those times, for NOW, i'm really considering 2-3 L7's to go along with that 1000.1 JBL amplifier in a custom box, i'm sure that'll pound much more than my current setup, but not sure if it'll be enough for anything towards competition (keep in mind I drive an 01 Stratus R/t)... As well as I'm trying to stay at a certain budget, basically the most bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance!

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
get one 15". a type-r is an spl sub.
i couldnt find any information on the jbl 1000.1. do you mean jl 1000.1?
either way, the type-r comes in dual 4 or dual 2 and it is 750rms

·
20s are bigger!
288 Posts
become a member of eCoustics.com - Consumer electronics product reviews, news, articles, forums and price comparisons car audio forum. post this same thread and they will most definitely help you out.

If you are very very serious then I would go with 4 12" Kicker 06L7s. They are 750 wrms each. Then get 2 Kicker ZX1500.1s. One wired to each pair of subs. Those amps will put out more than 1500 wrms too so you can push it to the limits lol. I'm guessing that 4 of these 12s would be the max that could fit in our trunks.

Or if you want to utilize that JL 1000.1 get 2, 3, or 4 JL 12w7s. The bad thing is that you will need one amp for every sub. This will get expensive.

You may be looking cheaper but if you got either one of those ^ setups...you would definitely be able to compete.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
I was gonna say.... a JBL amp for SPL comps? Good luck with that....

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scoozey, I meant JL 1000.1 upgade, I believe it was the "Grand touring" amp? I remembering seeing it on display it was almost $400 .. correct me if i'm wrong.

I figure I need to have 2-4 12"s. 15's drown out too much air space for my little car's air-space, either 2-4 10's or 12's, but 15's would be too much, OR, go with 3-4 L7's (13") and they'd compensate greatly.

I'll have to check out ecoustics eventually..

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
What ever you get, make sure your charging system is up to the task. That means 1/0 GA power and ground wire, Big 3 upgrade, and High Output alternator. If you want to compete, you need to get the box built to the manufacturer's specs. Also get on Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers, as there are a couple SPL competitors on there (One guy, Jeff Chilcot (sp?) hits mid 160's in a CRX with 6 L7's).

·
Registered
113 Posts
get the jl 1000 1v2 amp its so much better but also has a near 1000$ price tag

And can anyone say mtx jackhammer......1 of those alone would be impressive. i think its like 7000watt rms....not positive and too lazy to look it up

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
get the jl 1000 1v2 amp its so much better but also has a near 1000$ price tag

And can anyone say mtx jackhammer......1 of those alone would be impressive. i think its like 7000watt rms....not positive and too lazy to look it up
jackhammer :noplease:

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
jackhammer :noplease:

:agreed: Jackhammer is a joke.

If you really want rediculous beat, go with 4 Solo X 12's and a Warhorse. Of course you will have to rebuild your car from the ground up for SPL and end up spending over $30k :lol:

·
Registered
110 Posts
:agreed: Jackhammer is a joke.

If you really want rediculous beat, go with 4 Solo X 12's and a Warhorse. Of course you will have to rebuild your car from the ground up for SPL and end up spending over $30k :lol:
30k lol I hope that was a joke :p

Now SPL i've been waiting for someone to ask about this :twothumb:

1 15" at 2400watts RMS was tested for 147.7 I believe after it broke in.

Ok for subs I'd say 2 12's or 1 15". (with proper power) will get you where you wanna be.
AudioQue (HDC3 is the one you want) <---BEST BANG for BUCK and SOUND GOOD Now if you wanna get louder you WILL need more power.

The JBL amp is a great amp but not enough power if you wanna be hitting high 140's.

These subs are rated at 1000 rms but you can put 2000 daily to them safely :inlove:

Whats your budget i'll let you know what you can afford and where to buy from. keep in mind the need to upgrade electrical and all new 0/1awg wire and some sound deadner would be SMART lol

GL and let me know anything else I can help you with.

·
Registered
110 Posts
BTW I'm pretty sure that amp is rated for a 1000 RMS
witch would be enough for 1 L7 no where near enough for 3 now you should really stop looking at "max power" ratings whats really important is efficiancy of a amp and how much power they actually put out.

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
BTW I'm pretty sure that amp is rated for a 1000 RMS
witch would be enough for 1 L7 no where near enough for 3 now you should really stop looking at "max power" ratings whats really important is efficiancy of a amp and how much power they actually put out.
kicker amps ftw! mine is a 550.3 but the birth sheet says 750 watts of certified power :twothumb:
i suggest a kx1500.1. 3000 watts at 2ohms and you can find one on ebay for ~$400

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
30k lol I hope that was a joke :p
Not really... Retail for the Warhorse is $10k and $1300 per Solo X 12 already puts you over $15K. Next comes all the labor involved in completely sound deadening the car with layer upon layer of sound deadening, building the box, all the 1/0 GA wiring, HO alternator (at least 300A), etc. So if you had a shop build the car for you, $30k isn't too hard to reach.

kicker amps ftw! mine is a 550.3 but the birth sheet says 750 watts of certified power :twothumb:
i suggest a kx1500.1. 3000 watts at 2ohms and you can find one on ebay for ~$400
Uhhh the KX (and newer ZX) 1500.1 put out 1500 watts RMS at 2 ohms, not 3000.

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
Not really... Retail for the Warhorse is $10k and $1300 per Solo X 12 already puts you over $15K. Next comes all the labor involved in completely sound deadening the car with layer upon layer of sound deadening, building the box, all the 1/0 GA wiring, HO alternator (at least 300A), etc. So if you had a shop build the car for you, $30k isn't too hard to reach.

Uhhh the KX (and newer ZX) 1500.1 put out 1500 watts RMS at 2 ohms, not 3000.
man i always make that typo with kx and zx. everytime i go to search for it i type kx as well. but yea 1500 at 2ohms sorry. i was readin the peak power. with the zx tho it will probly be more like 2000

·
Registered
110 Posts
I see where your comming from Circute but who these days pays retail lol (too many people lol)
I paying for installs psh posh com on get ur hands dirty and make some mistakes ( unless u have no idea what your doing )

actually Buck I think he ment Zx 2500.1 and that one puts out anywhere from 2600 to 2900 rms good freakin amp lol very efficiant too. on ebay for like 7 bills I think. That amp would be enough for 3 L7s but I dont know how yo would wire that :scratch:

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
I see where your comming from Circute but who these days pays retail lol (too many people lol)
I paying for installs psh posh com on get ur hands dirty and make some mistakes ( unless u have no idea what your doing )

actually Buck I think he ment Zx 2500.1 and that one puts out anywhere from 2600 to 2900 rms good freakin amp lol very efficiant too. on ebay for like 7 bills I think. That amp would be enough for 3 L7s but I dont know how yo would wire that :scratch:
LOL yeah. I still like to quote retail just to give a max dollar limit. With a system that big, unless you REALLY know what you're doing, I would recommend professional assistance. I wouldn't want to make a mistake with a $10,000 amp and release the magic white smoke, and yes I do all my own installs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts