Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i need advice on the sub i want to purchase... Its a rockford p2 @250rmsdual coil...4ohm or 2ohm
My amp is 150 at 4 ohms and 300+ at 2 ohms, So my question is how do i wire it to run 2ohms.... i've looked at ctrutchfield wiring diagrams but am still not sure
So was wondering if my mono class d amp has 2 channels on it but cannot be bridged whats the best way to hook up my sub for 2 ohm independence? Can i plug all 4 wires off my sub into my amp or should i just stick with crutchfield diagram-wiring them like theres only one channel there...
i hope this makes sense

·
"S" Car...Gooooooo
1,350 Posts
Exact model numbers would help us help you immensely. However, if you have a DVC subwoofer, then it is quite unlikely that it can be set up as either 2 or 4 ohms. 2 or 8 ohms, sure. 1 or 4 ohms, sure. But i have never seen one with a 2/4 capability. Typical dual voice coil subwoofer voice coils are 2 ohms each (1/4 possible), or 4 ohms each (2/8 possible). As you will be purchasing this setup from scratch, you must decide whether you will be using only one sub, or multiples (2 or more) on the same amplifier.

If you are going to be using only 1 DVC sub, then get a dual 4 ohm model. Wire the sub coil wires + to +, and - to - (parallel voice coils), then each single lead goes to the appropriate terminal on the amp (see below for stipulation). If you are going to be using 2 DVC subs on the same amp, then get a dual 2 ohm model. Wire the sub coil wires on each one + on one coil to - on the other coil (same speaker), then take the 2 + wires (one from each speaker) and 2 - wires (series voice coils, parallel drivers) and attach them to the amp outputs (see same stipulation below).

If the amplifier that you currently have is indeed a MONO amp, although there are stereo inputs, there will only be a single channel output, so + to + and - to -. As opposed to a bridged stereo (2 ch) amp which has a left and right output labeled as such.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts