Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2004 Eclipse Spyder GS convertible
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to figure out the best way to install subs in my 04 Spyder convertible. I just got the car in good condition and I'm a big audiophile. Im waning to install either two 8in or 2 10in subs where they look nice and not in the back seat. Has anyone ever attempted to install subs under the convertible top bay area where the top is stored? IDK if there is any space hiding under there or not.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember some years ago, someone did fill that spot with 2 subs and mounted the amp behind the back seat I think. They had pictures but this may have been over 15 years ago. I just use the infinity basslink mounted in my trunk.
Gotcha, the only thing I have seen so far in my search is someone putting like a single 10 in the dead center of the rear seat. It was a very shallow sub but what I'm aiming for is some big boy Memphis subs so that wouldn't work. I guess the best way is just for me to start taking it apart. I got to replace the top anyway so I guess I can look then.

· Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,437 Posts
There is no way you are going to put subs in the top bay... There is just enough room in there for the top to go down. I have a 10-inch sub in the trunk in a custom box.
First thing first....please fill in your profile...One left-click on your avatar at the top right of your screen and choose My Profile...Please fill in as much as you can.
Before I can help you with this I need to know what head unit you have...are you running the stock system or do you have an aftermarket head unit.
I have a Kenwood head unit hooked to the stock infinity amp under the passenger seat. I run a Pioneer amp in the truck from the Kenwood sub outlet...
The sub box was cut down to lower it into the trunk... I cut a hole in the cover over the spare wheel to allow the speaker to fit down into the spare. Then I recovered the bottom of the box with truck liner and gave it a few coats of fiberglass resin.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no way you are going to put subs in the top bay... There is just enough room in there for the top to go down. I have a 10-inch sub in the trunk in a custom box.
First thing first....please fill in your profile...One left-click on your avatar at the top right of your screen and choose My Profile...Please fill in as much as you can.
Before I can help you with this I need to know what head unit you have...are you running the stock system or do you have an aftermarket head unit.
I have a Kenwood head unit hooked to the stock infinity amp under the passenger seat. I run a Pioneer amp in the truck from the Kenwood sub outlet...
The sub box was cut down to lower it into the trunk... I cut a hole in the cover over the spare wheel to allow the speaker to fit down into the spare. Then I recovered the bottom of the box with truck liner and gave it a few coats of fiberglass resin.

Sorry about that, I'm pretty new here. I just filed out my profile a bit more. Right now I have a stock sound system but I'm going to upgrade the entire audio system soon. I'm just trying to get a good game plan for the car. I can take car of everything but the subs are puzzling me because I want the car to look nice and maximize space.

As of for the components I will be using:
Boss head unit - Boss BE9ACP
Jbl Processor so I can tune the system properly - JBL DSP4086
All speakers are higher end Memphis speakers
I also have some Boss amps for all the speakers.

I figured i can put 6 1/2 subs in the rear 6x9 speaker slots if I cant find another spot to put them and then make a cut out for some smaller speakers in the rear. I would much rather find a diffrent solution though. I do like how you have your sub setup and haven't thought of that yet.

· Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,437 Posts
My 01 Spyder GT came with the Infinity System.. Tweeters on the top of the doors...Center channel in the center of the dash... 6" in the lower doors...6 by 9 in the rear quarter panels. I added the Kenwood head unit using a Metra cable to the Infinity amp under the passenger seat... That let me come out of the sub outlet to the amp and sub in the trunk. You don't need to countersink the sub the way I did but I needed the space for all that stuff you see in my video.

· Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,437 Posts
Another idea for rear sub would be to get the center speaker from the rear of a 2007 Eclipse Spyder. You might find one at the auto wreckers. You could remove it and with a little skill install it into your seat?

· Registered
2005 Spyder GT
829 Posts
Sorry about that, I'm pretty new here. I just filed out my profile a bit more. Right now I have a stock sound system but I'm going to upgrade the entire audio system soon. I'm just trying to get a good game plan for the car. I can take car of everything but the subs are puzzling me because I want the car to look nice and maximize space.

As of for the components I will be using:
Boss head unit - Boss BE9ACP
Jbl Processor so I can tune the system properly - JBL DSP4086
All speakers are higher end Memphis speakers
I also have some Boss amps for all the speakers.

I figured i can put 6 1/2 subs in the rear 6x9 speaker slots if I cant find another spot to put them and then make a cut out for some smaller speakers in the rear. I would much rather find a diffrent solution though. I do like how you have your sub setup and haven't thought of that yet.
any update on this project?

· Registered
2005 Spyder GT
829 Posts
Yes... I gained two pounds eating those subs. Oh wait... you meant an update on the sub install...My bad :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Really???
Jared "The Subway Guy" claimed he lost weight eating ONLY subways for years...
but he's in jail now, so consider the source on that note.
Simone Biles, however, is looking pretty thin, but apparently she has some mental issues, so again consider the source.
Not sure about Canadiens, but Americans seem to think that celebrities are all-knowing. As for myself, their opinions are worthless to me...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.