Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Yo Yo Yo Yo-Landi
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I wanted to wait until the 8800GT's dropped in price, but I can't stand playing COD4 and have EVERYTHING be black. All the people, cars, guns, etc. are black, with no detail at all, with the settings on the lowest they will go.

My current card is a PNY Quadro FX 4400 512MB PCI-E. The card isn't meant for gaming, but I could run COD2 flawlessly on it, but it can't handle COD4 at all.

I know I will be bottlenecked because of my CPU (Intel Pentium D 940 Dual Core), but I want to find a GPU that will allow me to play COD4 with some decent detail. I've been out of the loop for awhile, so I'm not really sure what cards can handle the game when paired with my older CPU.

I saw 8600GT's on newegg for around $150 and was wondering if one of those would do the trick.

Any help is appreciated, I want to order one by the end of the week. Thanks.

Forgot to add that I want a card between $150-$190

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Whoa hold on there, before buying a new video card, you should know that the "black-out" problem is caused by the nVidia drivers, and version 169.09 should fix that problem.

Try these new drivers before you go out and buy a new card.

ForceWare 169.09 XP 32-bit download from Guru3D.com
ForceWare 169.12 Vista (32-bit) download from Guru3D.com

If you're still not satisfied and have to have a new video card right this second, the Radeon HD3850 is the best candidate for your price range. Blows the 8600's out of the water.

·
Yo Yo Yo Yo-Landi
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoa hold on there, before buying a new video card, you should know that the "black-out" problem is caused by the nVidia drivers, and version 169.09 should fix that problem.
Holy shit, I didn't know about that at all!

I just figured since my video card was so old that it simply couldn't handle the game. I will update the drivers and let you guys know how it looks. Thanks Inferno!

·
Yo Yo Yo Yo-Landi
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel like a n00blet asking this, but I've never gotten this before. When installing the new drivers this came up:

"The software you are installing for this hardware:

NVIDIA Quadro FX 3400/4400

has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP.

Continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system either immediately or in the future. Microsoft stronly recomends that you stop insallation now and contact the hardware vendor for software that has passed Windows Logo testing."

I'm gonna go ahead and install the shit anyways, I can always pop in the driver disc that came with the card if the drivers fuck up. Just scared me a bit to read that. :sam:

·
Yo Yo Yo Yo-Landi
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't worry about it, it's just Windows have some sort of Hardware driver certification thing now (WHQL). Ignore it and proceed. :)
Alright cool, well I installed the drivers and I can actually see what I'm doing, no more black out crap. I still would like more detail though, not fun having to run everything on the lowest setting. Is there any card out there under $200 that can do the trick or should I just bite the bullet and get the 8800GT?

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Alright cool, well I installed the drivers and I can actually see what I'm doing, no more black out crap. I still would like more detail though, not fun having to run everything on the lowest setting. Is there any card out there under $200 that can do the trick or should I just bite the bullet and get the 8800GT?
As mentioned before, the fastest card available at this time for less than $200 is the Radeon HD 3850. Newegg has a few for $179 + shipping. nVidia has a 256MB 8800GT in the works that will go for about the same price, and should be available in about a week or two. The problem I have with these cards is that they all "only" have 256MB of VRAM. While that was fine and dandy a while back, some of these newer games are starting to require nearly 500MB of video memory.

Crysis has a little command-line based input that allows you to view system resources while the game is running, and I've seen it use up to 490 MB VRAM and 900 MB RAM. 512MB of video memory will probably start becoming the new standard pretty soon, so keep that in mind.

·
Appalachian State
1,574 Posts
As mentioned before, the fastest card available at this time for less than $200 is the Radeon HD 3850. Newegg has a few for $179 + shipping. nVidia has a 256MB 8800GT in the works that will go for about the same price, and should be available in about a week or two. The problem I have with these cards is that they all "only" have 256MB of VRAM. While that was fine and dandy a while back, some of these newer games are starting to require nearly 500MB of video memory.

Crysis has a little command-line based input that allows you to view system resources while the game is running, and I've seen it use up to 490 MB VRAM and 900 MB RAM. 512MB of video memory will probably start becoming the new standard pretty soon, so keep that in mind.
What do you think of the xfx 7950 GT 512MB compared to the HD 3850? Which one would you go with?

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
What do you think of the xfx 7950 GT 512MB compared to the HD 3850? Which one would you go with?
Probably the HD 3850. They both should perform about the same, but the HD 3850 runs cooler, consumes nearly half the power of the 7950GT and supports DirectX 10.

·
Appalachian State
1,574 Posts
Yea but with the rebate the 7950 is alittle cheaper and as a college student I like that. Soooo when do you really think that more games will start to support DX10.

***Edit*** Also looks like I will miss the holiday sale on newegg, so How much more is the 3850 gonna be?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts