Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Gas

welp, I was driving home yesterday and I hit a patch of ice which sent my car into a storm drain. Just my luck. It needs a lot of the suspension replaced on the rear drivers side and a new front bumper but it should be ok after that. Today I was pulling all of it apart and noticed a ton of play in the lower control arm that is closest to the back. Does anyone know if it is supposed to be able to move around freely? None of the other control arms are able to move side to side like this one is. I’ve included a picture to show more of what I’m talking about. The red circle is where all the play is. I’ll also include some photos of all the damage below.

·
USN
1,043 Posts
Ouch, that's quite a bit of damage. That control arm, part circled in red, is probably toast. It should only go up and down. Pull it and inspect where it bolts into the subframe and make sure it isn't ripped, torn, or bent out of place. Also inspect the sway bar. The bushing seems to be wonky, but it's hard to tell without a visual inspection.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch, that's quite a bit of damage. That control arm, part circled in red, is probably toast. It should only go up and down. Pull it and inspect where it bolts into the subframe and make sure it isn't ripped, torn, or bent out of place. Also inspect the sway bar. The bushing seems to be wonky, but it's hard to tell without a visual inspection.
Yeah it’ll need replacing then because I’m able to move it in a complete circle 😂 I’ll look at the sway bar next chance I get too

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
835 Posts
So sorry to hear of your little fender bender. Wishing for a speedy recovery. This is the reason I have myself a second vehicle to drive in the winter. My Spyder GT has never seen the snow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good luck finding a knuckle that isnt used.
I found a used one on eBay that I bought for 70 ish dollars. My local junkyard also has a few 3g’s that I could pull one off of but it’s been snowing recently where I live so I’d rather pay the extra and not have to worry about the hassle

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
139 Posts
Looks nasty. Hope you did not damage any points where the suspension pieces mount to the chassis. ...J.D.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
139 Posts
And where does someone get an ST 22 mm swaybar
Got mine through the speed equipment shop my son was working for at the time. Made a great handling improvement. Do an internet search. ...J.D.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
835 Posts
I found one at TDot Performance Canada.... $349.00 plus S&H St 22 mm Part# 51194.............. I’m going to wwwwaaaaiiiitttt......

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks nasty. Hope you did mot damage any points where the suspension pieces mount to the chassis. ...J.D.
For the most part the mounting points are fine, there’s some body damage on the front of the fender well but I’m not gonna worry too much about it because no one’s gonna see it 😂

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
swaybar might be bent, too, which would give you an excuse to install an ST 22mm, part#51194
Sway bar looked ok after I inspected it, didn’t see any bending or anything in it but I might replace the bushings just because they are getting old

·
Registered
40 Posts
Depending on how many miles are on the vehicle; changing left and right control arms with ball joints is suggested. Amazon or Autozone have them, you will need to inspect or replace any parts which looks bent because you will not know how the alignment has been affected until it is on the rack. The front bumper is about $110. on E-Bay. Make sure you also check the rims for being bent, with the tires off the rim by a shop.

·
Registered
139 Posts
When I bought my GT it had a couple of bent rims. I later found it to be out of alignment. It had been a rental car in Las Vegas in it's former life. I aligned it and drove it as a commuter car until I retired. I later added wide rims, better tires. By that time the suspension was somewhat pounded got I upgraded it as well. I only us it for pleasure anymore. ...J.D.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I bought my GT it had a couple of bent rims. I later found it to be out of alignment. It had been a rental car in Las Vegas in it's former life. I aligned it and drove it as a commuter car until I retired. I later added wide rims, better tires. By that time the suspension was somewhat pounded got I upgraded it as well. I only us it for pleasure anymore. ...J.D.
Most alignment shops lack in an understanding of how to set the toe or camber on the Eclipse in the rear. These vehicle need a 4-wheel alignment and if it is lowered then install the front camber bolt kit in the strut bolt along with a toe or camber kit for the rear.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts