Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
20s are bigger!
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 10" MTX Thunder 5500 subs in a ported SledgeHammer enclosure. Well they get really loud and hit even with the volume on zero, the hu subwoofer level on zero, and the bass knob on zero. I also turned the gain all the way down to make it quieter. I would like to turn the gain up to really push these guys when I want to but most of the time I don't want them so loud. Is there a switch or a knob that I can install that will completely turn the subs off? Or cut power to the amp? Something. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
5-Spd's FTW
1,595 Posts
I have 3 10" MTX Thunder 5500 subs in a ported SledgeHammer enclosure. Well they get really loud and hit even with the volume on zero, the hu subwoofer level on zero, and the bass knob on zero. I also turned the gain all the way down to make it quieter. I would like to turn the gain up to really push these guys when I want to but most of the time I don't want them so loud. Is there a switch or a knob that I can install that will completely turn the subs off? Or cut power to the amp? Something. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.
yes, ive seen many times guys will just install a switch on the dash that cuts power completely. they just installed a normal switch, that is on the power wire of the system, and mount the switch on the dash, or console to make it look pretty.

·
Premium
1,111 Posts
Get a SPST switch from radioshack or similar store and splice it into the remote turn on wire going to the amplifier, not the amps main power.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Get a SPST switch from radioshack or similar store and splice it into the remote turn on wire going to the amplifier, not the amps main power.
:agreed: 100%. And hopefully he doesn't have one of those amps without a "soft-off/soft-on" feature or he could get a LOUD bass thump everytime he flips the switch. I have used the above method with much success in my previous cars.

I would also suggest you try using the EQ function of your HU if possible. Lower the level of the bass freq and then you can turn up the gain on the amp for more "boom" at higher volumes.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
You should get one of those red push button switches (like in Fast and the Furious) that toggle on and off, that way it will look like a NOS release button. lol

·
20s are bigger!
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
haha yeah i saw something similar to that. i'll prolly mount it where no one car see it anywyas. i dont think i have too much remote wire to play with. plus most of the spst switches are round and can't be mounted without drilling which i am definitely not doing. (i mounted my bass knob with double sided super duty 3M...holds really well)

·
20s are bigger!
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
does it matter the amount of amps the spst switch can hold? i found one on ebay shipped for like 4 bucks. its rated at 6 amps. would this be enough?

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
:agreed: 100%. And hopefully he doesn't have one of those amps without a "soft-off/soft-on" feature or he could get a LOUD bass thump everytime he flips the switch. I have used the above method with much success in my previous cars.

I would also suggest you try using the EQ function of your HU if possible. Lower the level of the bass freq and then you can turn up the gain on the amp for more "boom" at higher volumes.
:agreed:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts