Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've decided after 4 months of nothing but headaches with Vista that I'm switching to Linux. My question is its been a while since Ive been on a machine with Linux for an OS. So who can recommend a version of Linux that is "easier" to use. Ive been messing with Unbuntu for the last couple of days, but I was just wondering is there anything else out there with a little more to offer then this.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Many Linux distributions have became quite user-friendly, so you can't go wrong with many of the popular ones. For starters, give Pardus, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, Fedora, Gentoo and OpenSUSE a try.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, I might give PCLinuxOS a shot. I just got to find one that I feel comfortable with.

·
54,460 Posts
ubuntu is as easy to use as windows for the basic point and click stuff, and for the harder stuff theres alot of easy premade scripts out there that can install things like your video card for you. i'm running xubuntu on my old 700mhz athlon with 220mb of ram, and it runs like a dream. smooth good performance and lots of neat little things you can drop onto the bars like instant weather, computer useage statistics, uptime, etc. most all you need comes installed with it. firefox comes preloaded, but since i dont use it much i prefer the simple interface of epiphany browser.

·
Proud :2003:
1,054 Posts
Another bonus for Ubuntu is that you can enable simply the builtin 3d effects that put Vista to shame. My Nvidia card was detected and installed (with my permission) without any hassle. Any software that you want, you simply check on the list and it is downloaded and installed for you automatically. I've never been as impressed with a distro as I have with Ubuntu. :yesway:

·
54,460 Posts
Another bonus for Ubuntu is that you can enable simply the builtin 3d effects that put Vista to shame. My Nvidia card was detected and installed (with my permission) without any hassle. Any software that you want, you simply check on the list and it is downloaded and installed for you automatically. I've never been as impressed with a distro as I have with Ubuntu. :yesway:
stunningly easy to use, and free. works great out of the box, prints, plays music, etc without any fuss, dont have to register, nothing. install and go. yes, it does put windows to shame, and the newest distros are way better than 6.06 and 6.1 which i did most of my learning with.

·
Meow.
7,786 Posts
stunningly easy to use, and free. works great out of the box, prints, plays music, etc without any fuss, dont have to register, nothing. install and go. yes, it does put windows to shame, and the newest distros are way better than 6.06 and 6.1 which i did most of my learning with.

I second that. I use it as my home OS now :)

If I need windows THAT badly, I make my roommate do it for me...

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
I plan on at least trying out a couple of Linux distros here pretty soon once I get my laptop. I will use my current PC to learn on, and I have been leaning towards starting with uBuntu.

The software engineer that I work with suggested I try out Foresight Linux. He said that it is a nice transition Linux OS from Windows. Another interesting fact that he told me was that uBuntu is actually Google Inc.'s OS of choice. I guess they have their own customized version called Goobuntu.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was using Ubuntu for quite a while but my school had lots of programs that required Windows. I was running Ubuntu with Windows XP in virtualbox but I preferred just running Windows on its own. It worked well with my laptop (Compaq C751NR) with a few exception to sleep/suspend mode will only work once and the rest it will fail to resume and the bug hasn't been fixed yet.

If you guys wanted to try an easier distro with multimedia codecs and drivers preinstalled then you should look into Linux Mint. Also, this a good site if you guys want to go distro hopping and finding the popular distros.

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

·
54,460 Posts
Year and a half old thread bump! Why?

cause most of this has already been discussed
so? he brings pertinent information to this thread rather than starting a new one. you'd cry foul if he made a new thread about this topic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts