Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got these codes after i installed a ram air intake. anyone know what the problem is and/or how to fix it? :confused:

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Did you reset your ECU after the intake install?

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
The ECU shouldn't have had to be reset.

Did you: Drop the MAF? Bang it on something? Reconnect it? Properly?
Replace the PCV breather hose? Properly tighten all hose clamps?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
The ECU shouldn't have had to be reset.
Interesting. You are the 1st person I have seen say that in my several years here. Every other post I have seen says to reset the ECU so it can learn the new setup and adjust the idle accordingly. My car threw codes after my intake install until I reset the ECU and recalibrated the idle.

What does the MAF have to do with being rich? That is determined by the primay O2s, correct? I wouldn't think the MAF would even play a part in how much air was allowed into the engine either. :scratch:

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
The ECU is going to learn the new setup anyway. Since an intake doesn't actually do that much, the pre-intake values are going to be much closer to those of the post-intake ones than the system defaults. By resetting the ECU, you're just making the learning process that much more difficult.

As for the MAF: It measures how much air is being inducted, which determines how much fuel to use. The O2 sensors are there to see if the ECU got it right, and force adjustments if it did not.

I think for a lot of people who get codes from an install, they made some minor mistake or maladjustment along the way, which, is corrected when they check everything over. Then, when the ECU is reset, the both the condition and the code are gone, so the installer believes that it was the ECU reset that did it, but, in fact, it was a tightened fitting, restored electrical connector, etc that actually fixed it.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
Also, make sure the MAF is oriented in the right direction. This is hard to get wrong with most intakes, but it has happened in the past.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'll try all the above... i reset the ecu 3 or 4 times but the light kept coming on so maybe i shouldn't have. the maf is the right direction but i read something about new filters may have too much oil charge on them and dirty the MAF... i'm gonna clean it off and put clamp on the hose instead of just pushing it on.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Interesting. You are the 1st person I have seen say that in my several years here. Every other post I have seen says to reset the ECU so it can learn the new setup and adjust the idle accordingly. My car threw codes after my intake install until I reset the ECU and recalibrated the idle.
I didn't have to reset my PCM either...I just didn't unplug the MAF when I installed the CAI...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
im being having the same problem for the last 2 weeks, i put a cai on my 01 RS, the light came on, took it to autozone the system too rich! the guy in auto zone say that is because the intake is getting to much air! and the only solution was to replace the intake with the stock system!

i also have a shorter of 5 miles per every gallon of gasoline!

A dumb questions!! how do you reset the ecu?.

·
Registered
218 Posts
To be honest i wouldnt reset your ecu. I get that code from time to time and i still have the stock airbox on. It will eventually correct itself and the light will go off. but if your set on reseting the ecu, just unplug the ecu in the fuse box under the hood for about 15 minutes.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
I didn't have to reset my PCM either...I just didn't unplug the MAF when I installed the CAI...:bigthumb:
I've done it both ways (with and without resetting the ECU and with and without unplugging the MAF). Whether the MAF is unplugged is irrelevant. No data is stored in the MAF itself so its not like it retains or loses data. In my experience resetting the ECU just causes the car to "get right" faster. I have throw more codes by not resetting the ECU and just driving to let the ECU relearn. Those codes eventually went away on their own but it took awhile. When I reset the ECU and let it idle for 15-20mins the car ends up ready to drive, code free with no issues. But that is just what works best for me (so far).

....i read something about new filters may have too much oil charge on them and dirty the MAF... i'm gonna clean it off and put clamp on the hose instead of just pushing it on.
:agreed: That has happened to me after I basically soaked my cone filter with a K&N recharge kit. I used too much oil and I believe that caused the MAF to get bad readings. I cleaned the cone filter with a hose then the MAF probe with electronics cleaner and everything was fine then. I'd definately suggest a clamp on that intake to help prevent leaks.

i put a cai on my 01 RS, the light came on, took it to autozone the system too rich! the guy in auto zone say that is because the intake is getting to much air! and the only solution was to replace the intake with the stock system!
If the engine was getting too much air then the code would say "system too lean" and not "too rich". I had both codes (at the same time, LOL) at one point. I had and still have a WAI intake. I did not have to reinstall the OEM intake (and neither will you).
I'd suggest checking your O2 sensors with a DVM to make sure they fall within spec and I would check for vac leak as well. One of those was my problem and after I either replaced an O2 sensor or fixed a vac leak (I forget which) the codes went away.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
In my experience resetting the ECU just causes the car to "get right" faster.
My experience has been to the contrary. The system defaults are going to be much further removed from the optimal values than the small difference a simple intake makes. In every case where someone has reported this problem, the first response has always been "did you reset your ECU", and the answer is always in the affirmative. I think a lot of the time people are actually causing their problems with the ECU reset, rather than solving them.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
I'm guessing the problem here is an intake leak. The engine is getting a different amount of air than is being reported by the MAF.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
first off, the guy at autozone is a doofus. find somewhere else in the future if you need a code read....

I had this problem the first time I installed my AEM CAI. All it turned out to be was a minor maladjustment of a fitting during the install. Installing an intake is the easiest thing to do as far as mods go, but also one of the easiest to mess up on. Recheck your work. you installed something incorrectly...

as far as the filter goes:
1 - clamp that sucker ASAP!
2 - right out of the box, filters that require oiling are already oiled and ready for install. you don't need to oil them....

about the oiling of the filter - yes over oiling the filter can cause the MAS to read incorrectly (had it happen). It will give the same codes (running too rich). It's easy to tell if this is the problem though cuz the filter will most likely drip oil if it's over saturated and there will be oily residue all over the inside of the MAS and intake tubing. If you ever run into this, make sure you DO NOT use brake cleaner to clean the MAS! More than likely, it won't hurt it, but it itself leaves a residue that can affect the MAS's operation. If you need to clean the MAS, use electrical parts cleaner....

After you feel you have figured out the problem and taken care of it, you'll need to let the ECU relearn the ilde. IT IS NOT A REQUIREMENT to reset the ECU first before doing this. You may opt to do so anyways though cuz you are throwing codes. The choice is up to you. Do note that if yer 3G is 00-02 and you still have the stock radio installed, make sure you have yer security code on hand cuz you'll be prompted for it before you can use yer radio again. You can erase the code(s) with an OBD2 scanner tool or simply drive until the SES light goes off (about 25-100 miles or so normally) as well. Bottom line is you want the SES light off before you relearn the idle. In the absence of an OBD2 scanner tool, obviously resetting the ECU is the quickest easiest way there.

If you do decide to reset the ECU, then all you do is disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes (both terminals) and then reconnect it. that's all it is...

Relearning the idle is simple. all you do is start the car and let it idle on it's own for about 15 minutes or so. do not press the gas pedal during this time and all accessories should be turned off (as in just the car running... no radio or stuff like that). If it conks, then restart it and restart timing it all over again. Once it can stay on and maintain a relatively smooth idle on it's own power, then it's relearned and you can drive it like you normally do. Relearning the ilde takes atvantage of the higher volume of air coming in and will give you the better performance for the new intake than if you did not relearn the idle. It is possible to run without relearning the idle with no probs, but you won't be getting the full benefit form the new intake....

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
Sure it will get the full benefit -- after a few miles of driving. The ECU is ALWAYS learning and adjusting. It's not something that just happens once after a reset.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts